Mental Ray in Max 6 vs Viz '06

chodney

I began learning Mental Ray in 3dMax v.6 a year ago, and recently my firm bought a subscription to Viz 2006. The way I controlled Indirect Illumination has now changed. What I'm missing is the overall scene photon and final gather control found at the bottom of Indirect Illum. Rollout on V.6. In Viz 2006 this isn't there, and the GI photons say things like 'avg photons per light', etc.

So my question is......I used to easily increase the scene photons by changing it at the bottom of V.6 I.I. rollout. Now I'm not sure how to do that.

Any help with this and suggestions from anybody?

thanks

Use the average photons per light and final gather controls in the render panels, the functionality is all there but they've reorganized it. They've been making some pretty big changes to this stuff in the newer mr versions, so you're going to need to change the settings you use anyway - biggest differences are the final gather (use fewer samples now) and the energy amounts, things are slower now but they've made it quite a bit easier to get good quality and smooth lighting. (Going from Max7 to 7.5 has a mr update, when I did that all my lighting from older models was totally burned out and I had to go through and do things like change multipliers from 150 to 1.5!) I'd recommend spending a couple hours with the tutorials, they'll get you back on track.