Interior design?

IC

We've been asked to come up with something striking for an interior fit out and I'm rendering out some suggestions from things we liked in magazines and journals. Just trying to get away from flush white walls with a plasma screen.

Did this one this morning. Modelled and rendered in LightWave. Please let me know what you think.......

I really like it. I love the stone in the back wall. Still, it feels like it needs something, a little more detail, like a plant or sculpture. Just so much wall with little detail on the left.

I love the feel. Nice work.

How'd you get that feel?

Iain,

Here are some interior design ideas for making it look more livable:

1) Improve the pillows and upholstry so they don't look so stiff.

2) Add interesting sconce lighting for evening ambience.

3) Your floor looks great, it adds needed warmth, but floors are a frame for a rug according to many interior designers and flooring people. A rug would add some interest.

4) It needs a few more accessories like candles, coffee mug, books, etc. They should provide some color and interest. They should tell a story about the people who live there.

5) The coffee table is too far from the seating to be functional.

6) I hate white walls for both aesthetic and human well-being issues but of course that is controversial. Leave the ceiling as is so it will bathe the scene in a nice 40% reflected light in the evening but warm the walls a little with a color something like 239, 220, 156. It should compliment the furniture and the floor. Of course you will need to experiment with that a little but that could get close. Walls can have more than one color also. A dramatic pattern could be interesting, but it needs to tell a story about the occupants.

This interior is aesthetically pleasing but lacks ambience. To have ambience it needs a theme, and that theme tells the story. What is the target market for this interior? Is it near the sea and many people would want a nautical theme? What elements would create that theme and the ambience?

- jim

Hey Jim

Thanks for the pointers.

I was going for a particular look however. There is a real trend at the moment towards stark, cool interiors which are free of clutter and don't actually look all that liveable (odd, I know).

You'll find it in architectural photography, contemporary interiors magazines and furniture advertising-everywhere in fact.

It's not to everyone's taste but I personally love it and so do the people I work for (a contemporary developer).

I agree the image needs a rug and a better position for the table but the walls will remain white and I know for a fact I'd get strung up if I suggested a theme, especially a nautical one (and we do actually build solely on the waterfront!)

Cheers

Iain

Iain,

Thanks for the update on British design tastes. I'm sure Europeans are tired of looking at and living in "old and charming" styles. Container loads of goods from those styles, considered antiques, are arriving everywhere in the US and are hot items. The trends here in California are Tuscan, Provence, and English cottage, except for our architects and CG artists :-) When I finally learn how to do 3D CG, many months away, those are the styles I'll work with. Actually I'm developing California Wine Country and Nautical interior designs and will sell them, complete residential interiors, on the Internet. I'll be happy to send containers of my nautical interiors to your customers :-)

Modernist designers and CG artists should know about Dwell Magazine. Really outstanding quality and a good source of modern design inspiration.

Back to learning Max.

- jim