vray lights-are they necessary?

diegofer_9

Hi all,

I am working on an interior view of a lobby and I am using vray basic. Once I turn on shadows for the direct light that acts as a sun, everything turns dark so I started adding omnis lights by the windows and they dont seem to work very well. Anyone out there has experience rendering interiors without vray lights? what do you use instead? The omni shoots light in every direction so the shadows look totally fake. I attached the mentioned scene, but I didnt even bother to put furniture or work a lot on materials so please dont comment on the overall look because it looks ugly. I am just wondering about lighting.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!!

use a direct light only for sunlight accents and shadow, it wont illuminate the intire interior usually. Use one vray sphere light for your main illumination, turn on no decay and a multiplyer of about .4 to start out with and a size of 2' for nice soft shadows. Also you can use planar vray lights in the windows for addtional lights with decay. make sure you have at least 13 bounces for a finished rendering, and a second bounce multiplier less than 1.

So...here is the scene only with a direct light. I didnt even bother to add AA.

I am a pesimist but nature and I think the answer is simple: Vray interior renderings only work fine with Vray lights, however, if there is someone out there that has done interiors with standard lights and rendered with Vray, can you give me some advice?? thank you!

I got some nice results before by just adding and adding omnis everywhere, like the "old days" except that with GI added, but it seems to defeat the whole purpose of GI, plus it takes forever to render.

Arnold: thank you for your reply. I did once tried using a Photometric Free Area with a huge multiplier and couldnt get any light form it.

mmmm...maybe I was doing something wrong. I will try your advice and thanks for giving me your contact info, the renderings at your company's website are very colorfull and well designed.

Thanks again.

For those who followed the thread and might have any interest, here is the kind of lighting I get from a direct light and 1 omni inside. It looks kind of OK, but not like those excellent interiors made in vray that you see around in these forum.

I am still open to suggestions if anyone has any.

thanks!!