confused about "new posts" icon

jackb602

Sometime in the last couple of weeks I've noticed a different behavior in the forums. It used to be that when I visited, threads with new messages would be tagged with the "new posts" icon. I could read whatever threads I liked and leave. When I returned, only threads with new posts since my last visit would get the "new posts" icon. So, if I ignored a thread that had new posts Monday, when I visited Tuesday that thread would not get the "new posts" icon unless new messages had been added after my last visit. Make sense?

Now, it appears that the "new posts" icon remains attached to any thread with posts I haven't read. This makes things confusing, as I can't tell which threads have gotten new posts since I last visited. Has some forum default been changed, or is there a way for me to go back to the old system somehow? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,

Jack

quick links tab (drop down arrow) right next to search on the forums upper tool bar...>>>>mark forums read ;)

I dislike it too....but its becoming a more regular pattern on other complex boards. It's a suggestion ;)

WDA

• Administrators

Yes during the last update I changed a few things to take advantage of the new features. In the past if there was a period of inactivity of 30 minutes of more all the forum read cookies would expire. Now we are able to track exactly which threads and posts you have read and it will keep the history for 30 days. After 30 days (a rolling 30 days I should add), unread threads will mark as being read.

There are two ways to see new threads:

1. Click the "Today's Posts" link in the forum menu. This will show you all the threads that have been started in the last 24 hours (also a rolling 24 hours)

2. I've just added a new link called "X unread posts" since your last visit in the top right of the forum. This will show you all the threads that have received new posts since your last visit.

3. If you really want it to go back to the way it was in the past you just need to use the Quick Links to Mark all threads read or go to the bottom of the home page and click the Mark all threads read at the very bottom.

With so many new posts every day, this new system make it MUCH easier to tell exactly what you have not read.

Thanks for the explanation guys. I did notice the xx Unread Posts option. Personally, the old system seemed more intuitive to me. I figured that if I didn't read a thread on a given visit, it probably wasn't of interest to me so having it marked as read was fine. The Quick Links>Mark Forums Read option will do the job in any case.

Thanks,

Jack

Yes during the last update I changed a few things...

It's not worth starting a new thread for this...but the new feature that says how long its been since everyone's 'last visit' is creeping me out. I know I check in too often (beats actually working) but I'm not enjoying the forum tracking my movements and displaying the info publicly..