Mental Ray Jaggies

Aaron2004

Hey all,

I'm working with Mental ray for the first time after working with VRAY for a while. I know I'm probably missing one check box that is screwing up this render...what is it? I have final gathering on. I'm not using any mental ray materials...but would that make that great of a difference?

Thanks!

Aaron

That was the problem...I needed a skylight. The other problem was the fact that my directional light had MR shadows...which I thought would help, but those are what created the jaggies. I changed it to Ray traced shadows and it came out fine.

I usually do use VRAY free for exterior things, but I'm needing to do some baking, and VRAY free doesn't allow for that. I might just revert back to a scan line render with a skylight for baking...I'll have to see which one is faster.

Thanks!

Aaron

PS. are there any good tuts out there for interior Mental Ray animations in Max/Viz?

Mr shadows workd like an area shadow in MR you would have to set the accurate dimensions of the light source in the area light params. based on the scale of your scene. What i usually do is to set the size of the area light parameter under the light parameters to around 1-5% of the size of my structure. maybe that caused the jaggies.

Try changing the background color in the environments dialog to pale blue. BG has great effect on FG. Also check the exposure as mohamed suggested.

hope this helps....