Epson R800 question

AJLynn

This printer seems to be popular, I bet somebody here knows this.

I just got one to end my frustrations with printing photos and renders - and, damn, does it ever. This thing is amazing. When using one of about 5 papers it has profiles for. I have a bunch of HP Bright White paper, and I know Epson makes something almost exactly the same, and they advertise it as being good for the R800. But it doesn't have a setting for it, and if I use "plain paper" I get a really dark printout of color images. I can switch to Advanced mode and change tone to Normal (you'd think that would be the default...) and it's not too dark but the color is way off.

I'm not expecting amazing photo quality, but for everyday use, it would be nice if I could use the stuff and get the colors to be about right. Does anybody have experience with this? Is there a way to get more paper profiles? (I can't find anything on the Epson web site.) I'm using the latest driver off the web.

Aside from that I'm really impressed. CompUSA has a $100 rebate right now if any of you are looking for a new photo printer.

Also, does anybody know how I can get good A4 inkjet paper in the States? Apparently I can print borderless on that but not on 8.5x11, and I think it's a much better proportioned size. Plus, it would be pretty cool to always be using a slightly different paper size than everybody else and if they ask why, say things like "8.5x11 is sooooo old economy."

I have an R800 for everyday printing. It does a good job. I do not for one moment believe the claims of print longevity. But they look good when they emerge from the printer. Use a profile for an Epson paper that looks like the paper you have, don't expect anyone to profile it. Plain papers have a huge dot gain (the dot of ink spreads into the paper like its a Bounty towel) and that is why the print looks dark. The glossy papers do well with this printer.

The problem I have is actually finding the inks. Staples and OfficeMax RadioShack don't carry them (when I've checked) and CompUSA does, but is often out of stock. I will have to order them, which seems stupid to have to do. Remember that the printer companies don't make any money on printers, but they make a killing on ink. So you will be bled to death buying ink for a printer like these. My big Epson pro printers can use big carts of 220ml, which saves money (but still can cost $400 for a set of good quality non-Epson archival inks). I will not bother trying to find non-Espon inks for the R800, just pay the man.

You can probably order the metric sized paper from any big computer supply company, if not find it at an office supply store. The paper is expensive, too. Off-brand is OK, too.

I have always used Epson printers. Apart from letter printing I always use Epson paper and ink having tried to cut costs in the past and pretty consistently got inferior results. Not to say you can't get a result but in my experience, epson gear works as a well honed system and using their (admitedly more expensive) paper and cartridges gets by far the best results.

Thanks all for the tips. Got the first copy of the thesis prep book printed. Used Epson double-sided matte paper, with the profile for "Matte Paper - Heavyweight" in Best Photo mode with Photo Enhance set to normal. I spent some prep time cropping the letter paper to 8x10, which was worth it - in borderless mode, the registration is perfect. It's actually a 7x10 book, so I set a 1" top bleed in Indesign that I can have the shop that does my binding crop off. Why it doesn't let me do borderless on a 7x10 custom page size and eliminate that step is beyond my reasoning capabilities.

I'm impressed with my Epson experience so far, Bright White paper issues aside (why don't they have a profile for Epson brand Bright White paper...). It's faster than I expected, using less ink - I'll probably go through most of a cyan cartridge before I'm done but the others are holding up well. And the quality is amazing - this is the first time I've done printouts of my renders that didn't disappoint, comparing to what's on the screen. Even gets the funky C4D shaders right, and I've got some really funky stuff in there, alien skin included.

I too have only had epson printers, 1520, to a 2000p, to a 2200, now a 7600.

I had the R800 and the quickly sold it. I like my r300. Side by side the 800 produced slightly better quality than my 300. A lot is due to the laquer like clear.

The deal breaker for me was the lack of full bleed 8.5x11. Most of my marketing materials were set up for full bleed letter. The 800 could only go up to 8x10. My r300 can do this at lest cost and far more cheaper and accessable inks.

If you do not need full bleed letter size, this is the best printer for the $.

atlex.com is a good source for epson inks.

Redriverpaper.com and moab paper really work well with the espon inks.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this to the front again because I've got a tough one. I'd really, really like to find Epson Ultrachrome optimized photo paper, double sided, in A4 size.

I'd even get it sent from Europe if I could find a good source there with reasonable shipping fees.

Anybody have a lead?

Edit:

Guess I should RTFM - Moab Paper sells a matte 2-sided A4 photo paper with an R800 profile. Ordered some to try on it.

Take great concern about ICC process.

With photo printers it matters a lot, there is a lot of errors You can make on PC to print unacceptable prints on brand paper, fresh inks.

I'm sure You are aware of it, I've learn it hard way.

Calibrate Display, your color space, printer itself.

Set printer profiles per papers. With offbrand inks its a matter of tests, or EyeOn, pantone, other print calibrating devices. they saves the printers profile in the icc, so You know what can you print, and what goes off gamut.

I dont know a lot, but i know its important, especially when you use printer that make use of icc.

goodLuck!