Check NL's home page

leoA4D

What is with the NL home page? The main window is blank and there is no explanatory message. The Preorder button took me to a "Sorry, that page cannot be found." page.

Edit: the main window is back but the Product, Preorder and Gallery button switch to http://www.maxwell.com/whats.htm. Preorder and Gallery are accessible via the two buttons at the bottom of the window.

Are they modifying the site?

What's really misleading is that NL is still advertising the RC, when they've stated on their forum that it's too buggy and everyone should go back to using the beta.

There are some issues with glass in the beta--especially combining dielectrics with sunlight. It also takes a very long time to clear up, both in terms of transparency and noise. It gets much worse if you use a realistic IOR.

Yes the problems with dielectrics and sunlight in the beta are a thorn in many people’s sides, it's the primary reason they began development of the new RC engine which turned out to be a waste of time.

That's what made it hard for me to want to work with the beta, despite the otherwise beautiful results. Glass + sunlight = archvis.

That's what made it hard for me to want to work with the beta, despite the otherwise beautiful results. Glass + sunlight = archvis.

Waiting for a fully working release, you can render without glass (much faster) and then render reflexion & specular passes with Mental ray or whatever, keeping same camera parameters and then composite in Photoshop...

Waiting for a fully working release, you can render without glass (much faster) and then render reflexion & specular passes with Mental ray or whatever, keeping same camera parameters and then composite in Photoshop...

That is something I wanted to play with as well, maybe after X-mass. :)

I don't know what there doing, but I just got an e-mail from Maya replying to an e-mail I sent her 2.5 weeks ago, this is what she said.

"First of all, please accept my apologies for this delayed answer but we have a large amount of work at the moment.

I understand your concern about the current situation. I am sure you received the email with the announcement our CEO, Victor Gonzalez, did some days ago. I hope that most of the questions you had, were answered. We are releasing the RC5 soon, this version will solve most of the problems the current RC has. I am sure you will enjoy this version as much as the beta version. "

By the way, none of the 6 questions I asked were answered by either Victor or Maya.

I fell for the "last chance" trick back in October when v1.0 was supposedly coming out. . .Beta's not bad, really, though it would be nice if the Rhino and Maya plugins worked as well as the Max plugin. I'm still optomistic about v1.0, whenever it comes out

i was roped in with get it for 495 once we go to beta the price will start going up, and it hasnt, so i started with alpha 1.2

Was a Maxwell licence ever $395? I keep saying I've got $800 invested in MWR, but I just saw my bill for the second licence and I paid $495. So I'm either $900 or $1000 invested. Not that it makes much difference regardless.