Can't beleave it!

Devin Johnston

Yesterday I posted a poll on the Maxwell forum asking how many people were going to try and recover the money they paid for Maxwell. The poll also asked whether you would see how the RC5 turned out before taking any action, or if you would do anything at all and just accept that your money was gone. When I checked it last night at about 10:00 there were about 50 people who had taken the poll. About half were going to wait till after RC5 was released before taking any action, about 15% were taking action at this time, 20% said they would never take action, and another 15% said they simply have given up on the whole thing. As of this morning that poll has been deleted by the mods, and as far as I can tell I didn't do anything that the forum rules prohibit. My hope was that NL would speak up and address the issue once they saw how many people were considering taking action but as usual defining silence is the only response I got.

It was up for at least 6 hours and well over 200 people viewed it, I don't know how accurate it was but it clearly shows that more than half of the users are clearly dissatisfied with the way things are going. What I still can’t understand is why NL refuses to take a stand on these issues; they've got to know that not saying anything just makes it worse for them.

I would be more than happy to see nothing but technical issues posted here but the fact of the matter is that there are no technical issues which we can discuss. The Beta which was released months ago is the only version which is even slightly usable and at this time very few people are actually using it to do any serious work. Most if not all of the bugs have been identified and its limitations are well known so as a result there are no issues which are worth debating until RC5 is released.

What is relevant is the way NL is treating it's user, how we are ignored on a daily basis, and how many of us feel that Maxwell is in serious trouble because of it.

As of this morning that poll has been deleted by the mods, and as far as I can tell I didn't do anything that the forum rules prohibit. My hope was that NL would speak up and address the issue once they saw how many people were considering taking action but as usual defining silence is the only response I got.

Maxer -

Can you please tell me what time you checked the boards to find your post missing? I'm trying to get to the bottom of something.

_Mike

P.S. Sorry for playing in your guys' sandbox, but I noticed the post was gone myself and I'm not happy about it.

I'd only be guessing, but I don't agree with that sort of mod - at this point, for that company, anyway. I have a feeling some NL people view it as someone coming into your own house and calling you an a-hole. But regardless, deletion of those polls/posts at this point seems to me like putting your hands over your ears and going, "la la la la la..." and it should be let stand. But I want to figure out who deleted it for personal reasons.

Thanks for the reply.

_Mike

I feel like invitated by NL. Spent money and time to be a guest in their home and....was ignored and not well serverd. Nobody's there! To feel like an a...hole is not a privilege in one direction;)

regards and welcome Mike

Thomas An. was invited to remain on as mod, from what I saw, and chose not to. Tom has basically stopped mod'ing on the forum because I guess after 5000+ posts he's completely burned out on the whole thing. I didn't delete the posts, so there's only a handful of people left who have that authority. In any case, they're gone, and I suspect all like-minded posts will disappear as well. I've attempted to interject myself into the communication path as much as possible, but it's their world.

_Mike

I bet Maxer, and likely everyone else would gladly defend NL if they would just give us information on a regular basis. Maxer's use of the Poll is a good way to get a reaction out of NL. It's very similar to a protest, or better yet, it's civil discourse. It's how one person or many get their voice(s) heard when the powerful ignore them.

I'm not really interested in information from NL anymore. It hasn't proved to be worth very much anyway. The only pertinent information we've gotten from that forum has been from Mike and Thomas An. Even though Thomas has stepped away as a tester, he's still legally bound by the NDA.

I could say a lot of insightful things about this situation based on my past experience. However, I consider myself still under NDA. As I said in another totally unrelated thread here, I don't fancy wearing an orange jumpsuit and having a room mate named Donna.

Max, I consider that when I am made aware of information that I would not otherwise be because I am under an NDA, the "insider" information is still not meant for public knowledge. Even after a product is released, there is still information that people who entered into an NDA are not free to share.

..yes... I am bound by NDA, and I just don't betray trusts like that. It's hard sometimes, especially now when I've got all sorts of juicy info, but honoring confidences is the surest way to keep being confided in!

I hope I've never given the impression that just because I support the Maxwell project I agree with NL's customer relations. I know there to be a very clear distinction between the guys who design and code Maxwell, and the NL management who are paying for the R&D and distributing the product. The two entities could not be more different. So as I've said many times, I'm just doing whatever I can to help the project.

I know that a release of RC 5 is very close. I know that the reaction will be mixed. I also know that the comparisons to beta are rapidly going to become obsolete; people are going to grumble a bit about things that are deliberately disabled temporarily, but not about the quality of the render.

Everyone on A-Team wishes it was really v1.0, but we also are in agreement that finished or not, it's time to release RC 5.

_Mike

..yes... I am bound by NDA, and I just don't betray trusts like that. It's hard sometimes, especially now when I've got all sorts of juicy info, but honoring confidences is the surest way to keep being confided in!

I hope I've never given the impression that just because I support the Maxwell project I agree with NL's customer relations. I know there to be a very clear distinction between the guys who design and code Maxwell, and the NL management who are paying for the R&D and distributing the product. The two entities could not be more different. So as I've said many times, I'm just doing whatever I can to help the project.

I know that a release of RC 5 is very close. I know that the reaction will be mixed. I also know that the comparisons to beta are rapidly going to become obsolete; people are going to grumble a bit about things that are deliberately disabled temporarily, but not about the quality of the render.

Everyone on A-Team wishes it was really v1.0, but we also are in agreement that finished or not, it's time to release RC 5.

_Mike

Sobering, realistic and sincere sounding, Mike. We are committed to the vision, too, and do not need hyperbole. If NL would have progress reports on a weekly basis, like this, there wouldn't be the user-on-user bashing that is becoming commonplace over there. Well stated, Mike.