How does mental ray handle heavy geometry scenes ?

paraganek

Neil Blevins has a workaround for the problem of max loading all the geometry. Basically, use backburner or another netrendering system to render your image, even if you are only using one computer to render it. It will break your image into smaller units and only load the geometry within that unit. You can usually control how many pieces it gets sliced into, so if it still crashes just make them smaller. Go to NeilBlevins.com for more info, and a lot more great ideas.

• 1 year later...

Well guys

I have a solution 4 u all

The problem is you want to render lots of instance geomectry which can reach the poly count to billions or trillions then follow these steps

1 Turn off scanline in renderer rollout ( this will give you the grip on time)

2 Still if u are not satisfied enough select BSP2 as the raytrace accelerator.

now if u got the NIRVANA feeling

just do one thing

Thanks ME

Manish kumar

Well guys

I have a solution 4 u all

The problem is you want to render lots of instance geomectry which can reach the poly count to billions or trillions then follow these steps

1 Turn off scanline in renderer rollout ( this will give you the grip on time)

2 Still if u are not satisfied enough select BSP2 as the raytrace accelerator.

now if u got the NIRVANA feeling

just do one thing

Thanks ME

Manish kumar

Don't forget this thread was started before BSP2 was available in MR. But yes, BSP2 is flushable.

• 1 month later...
Hey, I got two questions:

1. So do placeholder objects act the same way as vray proxies, and how do you create/insert placeholder objects (I'm using 3ds max 2009)

2. whats the difference between BSP and BSP2?

I am sure a few of the MR pros will need to correct me on a few points, but...

Mental Ray Proxies are similar to Vray Proxies. ...though the Vray proxies still seem a little more efficient at the handling of data. I have not really deciphered why yet, but I think MR analyzes the scene more throughly then Vray, instead of just starting to render. Neither is necessarily better, but it usually feels better to see stuff on screen, than not to see it.

To use place holder object, simply check the use place holder objects tick box. It is under the the tranlation options in the processin tab.

As far as question 2... I think the main differende is that BSP2 is flushable, and BSP is nonflushable. Meaning BSP2 can release items from memory that are not being used.

place holder will load and unload geometry as needed. This can cause alot of network traffic when netrendering which can slow things a bit.

BSB2 creats the BSB tree on the fly, loading and unloading data as needed. Great for scenes with alot of objects and proxies. It can be a little unstable with scenes that dont have proxies and a relitily small number of objects.

jhv

Mental Ray Proxies are similar to Vray Proxies.

So the "mental ray proxies" that you mention are the "placeholder objects"?

If so, by ticking the "enable placeholder objects", max automatically creates these placeholder objects or do you need to create these like in vray where you have to "export to vray proxy"?

Thanks for the answers!

So the "mental ray proxies" that you mention are the "placeholder objects"?

If so, by ticking the "enable placeholder objects", max automatically creates these placeholder objects or do you need to create these like in vray where you have to "export to vray proxy"?

Thanks for the answers!

No, by Mental Ray proxies, I mean Mental Ray proxies. These are available in MR 3.6.5 or above, or at least the version of MR 3.6.5 that ships with Max2009.

the script does make it easier but not nessesery to be able to use proxies.

The placeholder objects is not related to proxies. It is a means of managing memory and has been around long before mr proxies.

Mrproxies are great for handling objects with large poly counts, like trees or cars. Because you can instance copy them around, making it possible to have many (10's to 1000's) with a very small impact on your memory usage. These can be animated as well.

jhv

I just tried a scene with 1/100/1000 teapots, the rendering seems alot slower with increases in number of objects, although ram usage is pretty minimal. - Mental Ray default settings

A similar scene in Vray however with increasing number of proxies, doesnt seem to increase rendering time or ram usage.