ADVICE: stop saying [engine brand] rendering

Ernest Burden III

If you want to get better(and who doesn't?), why must you only emulate those renders done with the same software that you use? It's the style that counts-not the engine!

As has already been said, you can achieve just about any look with any of the major apps so why limit yourself?

I think we should study the work of the artists we admire, regardless of whether they use pen and ink or Maxwell.

Then, we can try to incorporate that in our own work. Surely that's how artists and architects have always arrived at their own style?

The technicalities of how to get there can be discussed in the software forums-here or elsewhere.

i think there is a place for the software used to create the image, just as the medium used to create a traditional image is often listed. take nude descending a staircase, it might be tagged something like this...

Marcel Duchamp

Nude Decending a Staircase, No. 2

Oil on canvas

146 x 89 cm

Philedelphia Museum of Art

so we can drop a lot of that information, but the medium with what the image is created with has a place. often our medium is reffered to as digital, but that is vague. our medium consists of our tools and software we use, not whether it was a digital image or a physical image. something created with Painter compared with something made with Cinema4d are completely different. ...but they are both digital. They have different characteristics, different techniques, differeny looks.

There was a thread around here awhile ago abut this very subject. It could not have been more than 6 months ago. I don't remember who started it.

So far, CGTalk.com probably does it best. People that post on their site always seem to follow a similar format.

Title:

Name:

Software:

so a vray interior might read like this, at least for me...

Title: NICU study

Name: Travis Schmiesing

Software: FormZ, 3ds max, Vray, Photoshop

i am not sure how they get everyone to post so consistently. ...maybe there is some type of form that people have to fill out when they are submitting their image. soemthing that requires the user imputing their name, title, country, and software.

watercolor, oil, acrylic are all painting, but each has a different feel, and requires a different skillset regardless of the persons talent level at using them.

well

old folkzzzz...

i luv default scanline renderer... but If people mention 3dsmax or cad or watever under their work then why not mr/vray/mxr etc..???

traditional artists dont mention faber castle 4b black pencil under their sketches because that pencil has very lil to do with a sketch it can just turn something into black... thats it.

but forgive me... there is a big difference betwean a pencil and a rendering engine... and it has lot to do with ur final result... digital artists are unfortuantely so much dependent on their tools.

traditional artists dont really bother to talk about "realism" in a painting. Quality of material in a sculpture is equally important as its resamblance to the subject is.. strkes in a painting matter lot more than what is the quality global illumination in a paited scene... isnt it???

dont mix up these things... software rendering engine texture painting application simulating engine etc are mere tools ,no doubt about it, but dont compare them with a faber castle 2b black pencil that can only turn somthing into Black. :)

artist in all cases is more important than tools... but in digital media tool has got some importance because of "processing and computing" which is not there in traditional art forms.

so i agree with crazy homeless wanderer to do the same as traditional artists have always been doing that is mentioning their "medium" and i dont agree with repacted thread starter.

So far, CGTalk.com probably does it best. People that post on their site always seem to follow a similar format.

Title:

Name:

Software:

so a vray interior might read like this, at least for me...

Title: NICU study

Name: Travis Schmiesing

Software: FormZ, 3ds max, Vray, Photoshop

i am not sure how they get everyone to post so consistently. ...maybe there is some type of form that people have to fill out when they are submitting their image. soemthing that requires the user imputing their name, title, country, and software.

They do have a form you fill out-exactly as we do in the gallery in the main CGarchitect page.

Interesting discussion coming out here.

The interesting thing with this thread is that it's blindingly obvious when Vray has been used anyway! Also, the sad thing is, is that as brilliantly realistic as most renders done with Vray are, to my eye they could all have been produced by the same visualiser. That's the trouble with that kind of realism in visuals, there's no where else to go, your visuals are exactly the same as the next guy using it.

I was never suggesting that we should avoid saying what medium/software our work is done with. As has been pointed out there is a rich history of providing that extra information--but AFTER the artist has been named. That was all I was saying. Title your threads with something about the subject of your work like 'NPR College Gym' instead of "SketchUp Exterior'. And the reason I make the suggestion, and that is all it is, advice, is to get the people who post here to think about their role as creators. I would like to see everybody, regardless of what programs they use, looking at the WIPs and FINALS posted to comment on them as illustration first.

I'm sure we have all had many similar encontours. Once, after recieving some praise from the client for the work I had done on a project, the architect for the project asked if I ever felt guilty for accepting praise when it was really the computer that did all the work. I had a hard time keeping my cool with that one because he kept insisting it was so, even though he himself had never rendered anything on a computer in his life.

Ouchers Brian. Did you tell that guy off?

Best to you!!

Chris J.

• 2 years later...

can i revive this long dead topic as this is an issue i have started to see more and more. the number of times i've wanted to go back and have a second look at something i've seen on here only to find after a good hour of searching that the title of the thread was 'vray interior'

any chance of a submission system like travis suggested for work in the 'finished' section. ie. title:, name:, architect:, client:, software:, etc... along with more descriptive thread titles?

I completely agree - I've started avoiding the Finished Work section recently (or at least the genereically-named threads in it) as it becomes impossible to remember which I've already looked at. The only ones I tend to open now are those which hint that there's some interesting content inside!

For a long time I thought a vray was a type of building because of all the 'vray renders' you get here.

Hilarious!

i actually rarely look at any thread that states a render engine in its title. I'm interested in the subject matter, design conveyance and style. I don't care if you draw care if you tape trace to your monitor, draw on top, scan it and the photoshop it..... yes I've done this :D

I missed this one the first time around...probably due to the fact that I was just more of a HACK back then.

But now that I know all the buttons/settings/terminology, I can market myself as an AutoCAD/Max/Scanline/Mental Ray/V-Ray/Photoshop/AfterEffects/Premier Artist right? And that is what I intend to do on CGA!

If you don't really care what I use to create, then why should you care about what I say I use as well?

Everyone has their own motivations for posting and not everyone posting here is striking out to be a professional illustrator or expert renderer. The lack of creativity in the thread title is your first obvious clue...