RTRE (+ vray?)

FlytE

Has anyone had any experience with RTRE?

Having been an amatuer games level designer for a number of years, the thought of a fully interactive virtual reality environment is somethign i find quite exciting and potentially incredibly useful.

I had a look at rtre recently but was slightly disappointed by it. Ok yes its novel and it does the job, but the quality of the rendered environment is really not what i would come to expect. What really bothers me is that I could build a computer game level of a scheme that would look 'pretty' realistic, would be very atmospheric and fully interactive - but would have no way to distribute it in a legal licensed and portable format.

I downloaded some rtre examples off turbosquid and I was wondering if its possible to use other renderers with it like vray to try and get a more realistic environment? Any thoughts?

RTRE is not worth it's money. The only capability is that you can view/walk somewhat through a scene with quality at 65% of original rendering. Difficult, complex/annoying workspace and very expensive.

Allready thought about another tool? BS contact is great, Anark hmm...not all that and for just a presentation, straight from your HD there's Blender. It has a standard radiosity calc. nice and smooth movement etc.

Dennis

If you already have Vray you could probably bake, then get the model into Blender and set up the walkaround, so the whole thing would still be a Vray render. It's free and it's got a built in game engine maker, but I have no idea how to use it. The files you end up with would be huge (depending on the resolution you bake at) and would probably play best on a computer with a heck of a lot of video card memory.

Blender is your solution. It is a bit strange at first, but the results are cool. They (Blender) even started their dev. dept. again after two years of silence. Bake your maps at 1024px and you'll walk around full screen without a shake. The only problem with baking are the brick textures lose their detail but it certainly is worth a try...