OnyxTree Material question

raterry

Hi there, I've recently been trying to utilize our OnyxTree collection and I like the trees however I'm less than impressed with the textures which seem to be only vertex paint. I can't seem to edit the colors as far as bumps,specular etc. they seem to render very plastic looking. Any ideas from experienced users? Thanks.

-=Rob

if you're using the max plugin, select your tree in the scene and on the modify tab, click on "adjust". It will bring up the material parameters for the object. If you go down the right side and turn on uv mapping for the objects you want "trunk, branch1-3,leaf" etc... it will create a mapped multiobject material for the tree.

Then all you have to do is take the eyedropper from your material pallete select the object in the scene to get the material that was created for the object. The seperate channels will be listed out and you can go in and assign all the materials specifically. Normally channel 1 is your trunk, all the way down to the last channel which would be your leafs. this way you can assign your texture maps and opacity maps (for leafs) like a normal object.

On the other hand if you're just using the standalone program to create a 3ds file which you are bringing in to your scene, then you can quit trying to figure out eveything i just said in the first paragraph and concentrate on all the steps I jammed into the second paragraph! :D

hope this helps, once you get used to it, its pretty simple.