Onxy conifer...suggestions??

BrianKitts

Has anyone had any luck using the onxyTREE plugin to develop a conifer that doesn't break a million (literally) polygons.

The trees are pretty close in the view, so I can't fake em, and any tweaks I've done that they start to look decent the polygon count just goes through the roof!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post, but just for anyone who happens to have the same question, I have found that you can cut the poly count drastically by checking the "PL" box in the needle options while you are in the "save as" window. I experimented, and just that one change took my sample pine tree from 805,000 polys to 317,000 polys. You can adjust the needle density slider to lower the count even further, but you're tree may start to look bare if you go above 3mm. I have also found that if you lengthen the needle length, you can decrease the density a little and still have a nice, full-looking pine tree. I always convert my tree meshes to vray proxies, because ~300,000 polys is still high for an object, unless you work for Evermotion. ;)