RE: best software for modeling architecture

phix95

I went to a revit seminar and it looks very promising and it seems (but who knows) that it will be slowly but maybe surely the standard for construction documents, it is being used more and more at the conceptual and schematic level and jumping into cd phase. I would say not to jump to this one just yet, it is good and impresive but it wil take you a will to learn and master.

Yes, it is difficult to master… it’s a tricky piece of software because they try to show it as being so easy! Of course, drawing walls comes so natural, but as soon as you start to do a whole project, you’ll eventually run into problems. It is not as mature as AutoCAD so you’ll have to learn the workarounds.

I’ve seen that precision is a lot of concern in this thread. Revit is accurate (just like AutoCAD). It even sports a feature that warns you when a line has an angle inferior to 0.2 degrees (those lines that look straight but they are not).

I encourage you to try it. Its greatest advantage is that you can use it as a CD software, not just to model in 3D. Fair warning: the render engine in Revit is very poor so you might want to link it to Max/Viz for proper quality images.

Linking a Revit model into Viz is actually linking a DWG file to Viz.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too tride sketchup and gave up after several tries, it is sort of not precise, but on the other hand have seen some other architects that did not have any experience in 3d modeling do some great stuff.

Sketchup can be very precise. You just need to know how to use it in a precise manner, which isn't difficult to do. Sketchup blows solid modelling in autocad out of the water. It's very fast.

Here are some examples. The atrium walls were modelled as curved surfaces which some say is impossible to do well with sketchup. You just need to increase the arc segments. The atrium floor is a terrazo pattern with 1/4" divider strips modeled in sketchup. The exterior plaza rendering was modelled in sketchup. The people and plants were added in photoshop and the cars from sugar3d were added in viz. The curved curtainwall and segmented stone walls were very easy to do in sketchup.

I started out modeling in autocad and when I discovered Archicad, I started doing all my modeling in archicad. The problem with archicad is that is is very dificult to model complex details like cornices on dormers (we see alot of that in french architecture) Lately I just went back to modeling with autocad and booleans. I'm convinced that it is the easiest method for modeling, especially when using the file link manager in Max for rendering

• 3 months later...

Wow guys. Thanks for the replies. I forgot I posted this thread a while ago. I'm leaning toward Autocad and 3ds, b/c I know 3ds, I have a trial for autocad, and a lot of companies want you to know autocad.

I am a game design student and dont know much about architeture. But I love looking at it. A lot of the renders on this site are just amazing!

Which brings me to...

What do you like for rendering? There are a lot of choices I know.

this type of thread is common but still incites the same fervour as it always has......who's software is the best?

All I can add is the story of my own frustration....autocad I started with and autocad I left behind long ago....max rules for modelling..texturing...rendering (third party plugins of course (vray)) etc.etc. With all thats been said in this thread and the countless others that delve into the same genre....it's sad that autodesk is ruling the 3d world but it is reality and lets face facts if you can model in max in the same amount of time that you can model in any other program and achieve the awesome lighting and rendering quality in the same program thats gotta be a win win situation for you or your employer. After all who in high end 3d today renders, textures and plots camera paths out of their cad program? maybe I'm a MAX junkie but who can say that I'm not an addict for the dominant ARCHVIZ software.

If money is not a barrier and you're deciding between MAX and VIZ then I'd suggest that you get MAX for archi-viz work. Granted you'll probably not use some of the features but I've found that VIZ is a little too cut down for my tastes and there are a couple of features I use in MAX that aren't in VIZ.

Matt, what are the features in Max (not in Viz) that are important to you for arch modeling?

this type of thread is common but still incites the same fervour as it always has......who's software is the best?

All I can add is the story of my own frustration....autocad I started with and autocad I left behind long ago....max rules for modelling..texturing...rendering (third party plugins of course (vray)) etc.etc. With all thats been said in this thread and the countless others that delve into the same genre....it's sad that autocad is ruling the 3d world but it is reality and lets face facts if you can model in max in the same amount of time that you can model in any other program and achieve the awesome lighting and rendering quality in the same program thats gotta be a win win situation for you or your employer. After all who in high end 3d today renders, textures and plots camera paths out of their cad program? maybe I'm a MAX junkie but who can say that I'm not an addict for the dominant ARCHVIZ software.

I tried using/learning Autocad (ADT) for 3D modeling...not fun. I've been using FormZ which allows me to create pretty much anything, but the program crashes quite a bit for me and lacks parametric architectural modeling tools as well as an acceptable (by today's standards) rendering engine. The good news is that these major improvements are reportedly in the works at Autodessys (FormZ). I've used Archicad which has some very good parametric modeling tools, especially for creating roofs. The windows tool seems too limited to most of us, especially if doing very custom work. We found Archicad a nightmare to learn, but fast after we caught on. I'm opting to hold out for FormZ's reported improvements in architectural modeling and rendering tools. If that does not meet up to my expectations I'll see how far I can get with a Sketchup and VIZ combination. Seems like by this time somebody would have created a software program that meets the needs of architects better.

• 1 year later...

it's been a while since this was last discussed and i'm wondering if anyone has come across any new softwares/plugins that may be worth discussing?

i'm becoming very fond of max, but i'm always wishing that it had inferencing and guide lines a la archicad.

is rhino still a popular choice? anyone using modo? - i have tried to use the snapping/guides but they don't seem to work properly...

have any 'precision' plugins become available for 3ds max? i read all the time of complaints regarding the lack of reliable, easy to use, and, above all, precise (CAD style) 3D 'architectural' software. i'm really surprised that no company has come forward with a complete solution. surely, there would be massive demand for such a software?

how about formz? has its reliabilty improved?

I don't think Rhino is a "popular choice", but it's accurate, easy to learn, has nice, clean, cad-like user interface, and is VERY fast to model with. It will do complex curves and surfaces or simple solids, and will import and export .dwg files...... I sometimes feel like I'm cheating when I use the program....

I use C4D and Advanced Render for rendering, and a little modeling when Rhino's nurbs are not appropriate...Once again I like the clean interface, and ease of use.

Both of these programs work well for me..... I'm an ex-AutoCad and Max user. :D

Just curious how did everyone go about learning 3ds for architectural modeling and how long did it take before you were producing a drawing that was photo realistic?

I am just learning and always like to hear how others learned as it gives me ideas how to get over this steep learning curve.

Doug, thanks for your reply. i'll be trying out rhino in the next week or so if i can find the time. i tried MoI (moment of inspiration) which is a cut down version of rhino and although i loved the ease of use and the great booleans, what i don't like is that it's quite difficult to edit geometry once created.

i love to see what i'm modelling and then move faces or edges around and try out different styles etc. but this is very difficult in MoI - is rhino any different? for example, if i create a simple cube, then boolean a couple of cubes out of the first one, how easy (or difficult) is it to increase the the size of the original cube or move the booleaned cubes within the original cube? can i move faces around?

malevy, i've been learning 3d for about 8 months now (and i really did start from scratch) but i've improved massively since my first crumby attempts. it has taken A LOT of research, practice, and then more research and practice and then some more to improve but i'm happy with progress so far.

forget about sleep as you don't need it in 3d land. just find as many modelling and rendering tutorials as you can and try to get the best out of all of them. don't forget the details when you model, as this is vital for realism. although i've read many times that lighting is the most important aspect of rendering, i believe modelling and materials come first (many renders now only use vray sun/sky/cam and no other lighting.

but like i said, i'm pretty new to all this so don't listen to me :D

Derek,

Some of the words/phrases in your posts were "precision," "great booleans," "move faces or edges," "snapping," "CAD style," "architectural," and "complete solution."

Based on that, I suggest you take another look at formZ. I've been using it exclusively for over ten years doing free-lance architectural illustration. Until recently it was lagging far behind in rendering capability, but version 6.5 is a major leap forward in that area. I'm not suggesting that it equals Vray, for example, but it can produce good results with some global illumination techniques. There is also a plug-in for Maxwell (I don't use it).

No one software package seems to be ideal as a "complete solution" but I think formZ comes close. I'm not only referring to the modeling and rendering sides of the equation, but also to the software's ability to help you organize a large complex project.

Richard

Doug, thanks for your reply. i'll be trying out rhino in the next week or so if i can find the time. i tried MoI (moment of inspiration) which is a cut down version of rhino and although i loved the ease of use and the great booleans, what i don't like is that it's quite difficult to edit geometry once created.

i love to see what i'm modelling and then move faces or edges around and try out different styles etc. but this is very difficult in MoI - is rhino any different? for example, if i create a simple cube, then boolean a couple of cubes out of the first one, how easy (or difficult) is it to increase the the size of the original cube or move the booleaned cubes within the original cube? can i move faces around?

Well...Nurbs and Polygons are two different critters, and each has strong points..and weak points. That's why I like to use both. :D

Thanks for the tips. I am slowly learning and have plenty of time now to devote to 3D as i just had major back surgery 3 weeks ago and I am stuck at home for the next few months. I think after i take Brian smiths architectural content class in a few weeks it will help me move forward and clear up how to do some things such as the roof which is killing me because its just a pain and never looks right..

malevy, i've been learning 3d for about 8 months now (and i really did start from scratch) but i've improved massively since my first crumby attempts. it has taken A LOT of research, practice, and then more research and practice and then some more to improve but i'm happy with progress so far.

forget about sleep as you don't need it in 3d land. just find as many modelling and rendering tutorials as you can and try to get the best out of all of them. don't forget the details when you model, as this is vital for realism. although i've read many times that lighting is the most important aspect of rendering, i believe modelling and materials come first (many renders now only use vray sun/sky/cam and no other lighting.

but like i said, i'm pretty new to all this so don't listen to me :D

Derek,

Usually the users of formZ in this forum have old versions of the software, usually v.3.9 and v.4. The current version of formz is v.6.5 and many areas of the program have evolved and matured. Take a deeply second look. IMO, formZ rock's at architectural design and modeling, much better than Rhino.

Best,

Marcelo

• 4 months later...

It may be an old thread but I'm new to these forums so I thought it worthwhile chiming in.

I use FormZ for architectural modelling. Have done since I ditched StrataStudio way back when... I've found it to be very robust and easy to keep accuracy high and it has a superb set of import and export features that means I can work with multiple clients using multiple software.

I would echo those that have posted before however in that it's what suits you and your way of working that will give you the best results. As a 12 year user of FormZ I'm extremely comfortable at building big projects from scratch but there are still things I know it can do that I haven't used - purely because I don't have to to get the results I need for my work.

Good luck with your quest.

James

Hi,

I do this. Use AutoCAD Architecture (formerly ADT) using the AEC objects for the base CAD model and for producing the plans and working drawings (produced from the master model) then use 3ds max. I use the new 3ds max design, it just includes a lighting analysis tool but is essentially the same and just thhe product of a 're-brand'. 3ds max works brillantly with other Autodesk products. There are a couple of ways of working here, wither by importing the cad model or by using the file link manager that is kind of like 'xref'. The benefits of this are if you change your cad model, it will automatically update in max. The down side is, you cannot alter the geometry in max and this can get frustrating. So if the cad model is finished or certain parts are not going to change and you need to tailor your model slighly in max for a nice scene or whatever, just import it!

people say that max isn't accurate enough for a working model. I say it is down to the users own accuracy. 1:1 modelling is the way!

Max will allow you to model with greater flexibility if you need a more 'organic' shape. You can port models betwen the 2 packages if you modelled something in max, althoguh for Architecture, try to stick to AEC objests as they are I think 'parametric' and relate to other objects in the model. Sounds like I'm promoting Autodesk! It works for me...

Ted