'Real-Time' architectural visualization

acidmaster

Hi

I'm not sure that I completely agree on your real-time definition. The part about it being without delay is what I understand as well, but in most cases you do have some (post) rendering.

This is usually in the form of baking textures etc. Most real-time engines (including for games) use pre-computed light to some extend. It is way too hardware intensive to calculate it all in real-time. The same trick is often used in reflections, where it is often a mirrored model you see, or a curved "rendered" image.

-Regarding the people not moving, and doors not opening etc.. It is not that we cannot do it, but we quite early found that the end-users gets "spooked" by the people, and don't go through the doors. Sometimes it's not what we see as the best solution (read most advanced) that the end-user like, and therefore makes the most commercial sense. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to do it, but I believe if the client wants less than we can provide him with he gets that along with a note telling what he could get in addition.

Regards

Claus

Hi Claus

Yes indeed their is always a post process of a sort, to get various information

not just 'baked' textures but what is visible, and other things.

What you said about moving objects , and opening/closing doors is interesting, I will watch out for this, and consider this a warning.

But at the same time (are you talking about doors that require the user to

open or doors that open and close automatically when you are in proximity to the door?)

Graig

Hi

It was doors that opened (animation being played) on a zone-enter functionality (proximity).

I think it is very much up to the target audience, if such functionality should be implemented. The Swedish CubiCasa franchisee did sliding doors in this scene, which is an apartment for the "young and hip" in a harbour area: http://www.cubicasa.se/2005/index.html?agent=bostadsinvent&name=laxen

It also supports changing of colors etc.

Regards

Claus

v good work.

what software u using for creating the models and the engine?

i have been messing around with this sort of thing, as i had a couple of lectures at uni on it.

i have been using 3ds max, and macromedia for the programming (lingo), and found it dead easy to pick up and dont know why hardly any 1 else uses it.

heres a part of my 2nd yr project.

http://www.deanpunchard.co.uk/theWorld.html

its a exe file that opens in a seperate window, then just follow the instructions.

this didnt take too long, and at the time i didnt know how to render to texture.

let me know what ya all think.