2003 CGarchitect Wall Calender

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

Hey guys,

I just found out that CafePress, the guys who print all of our CGarchitect logo merchandise, are offering a 2003 calender. As I always like getting CG calenders I though that many of you would also like one too. If you are intersted post your thoughts here and submit or nominate an image that you would like to have in calender. I also need someone who would like to design the front cover. If we hurry I'll try to get it our before the end of the month, hopefully mid-month.

http://www.cafeshops.com/cgarchitect

BTW, would you buy one??

Hi Jeff,

well i had the same idea as a marketing thing for my company since i get a calendar from FormZ every year. I think that needs a longer time for preparing and to let all vote for the pictures that are in the calendar, Autodessys (the company behind FormZ) asks for submission of pictures in summer. But definitly a good idea.

How much of your time would be needed versus how much you might make on the royalty? In other words, is it really worth doing financially--time being the most precious ingredient. Would you expect to have enough sales to justify the investment? How many would be a breakeven?

I tend to make my own calenders--a personality defect that I inherited from my father. I lay them out in CAD or just draw by hand on graph paper. One reason for this is that most calenders split a weekend, with the 'week' starting on Sunday. HAH! That may be technically true, but I, like most people, think of a weekend as a single block with the five days between as a second block. My week starts Monday morning (good morning, week!) and ends Sunday night--often VERY late Sunday night. So I make calenders to match my warped view of temporal divisions. Or lay them out horizontally like a CPM chart, which I need for project planning. I always have too many projects going, some on short-term and many long-term schedules. A traditional calender is really only useful for knowing the date and when the rent is due. My OS handles the date part very well.

I usually get the FormZ calender, too. I like it, but I never hang it up to use.

Ernest Burden III

• Administrators

Here is the good part of workig with CafePress. All I have to do it load the picture up to their site and they print them on demand in one offs. I pay nothing and get whatever I mark the calender up from their base cost. I kow a ton of people who use them for this reason alone. This is why my time involved will be very minimal and the risk zero. Can't beat that.

Do you mean a calendar that is all CG images? That sounds very interesting and I would buy one. I collect images off the web to study and having hi res, top quality images staring at me all year would be great (keep me focused, you know?)!

I don't know how difficult it would be to have a voting session, but it seems like this is a small enough/tight enough community where you could have each person interested submit one image, then vote on the 12 or so images. One week to submit, one week to vote? If that's at all possible, I'd be buying at least one.

Originally posted by mzagorski:

Hey Guys,

Do we get to submit :D Playboy :D type image or are we restricted to architecture stuff? :(

as long as it's not cga members posing for the shots. specifically NOT quizzy and nisus, only i dont fancy being ill for the rest of my life ;)

• Administrators

Hey guys,

To ensure I get the images and the calender by hopefully mid month, I have already emailed 13 people (12 months + cover) however, I have only heard back from about 5 or 6 people. If you have an image or would like to nominate an image, please post it here ASAP. I think I will be looking for more candidates early next week. I'm looking for highly realistic, or very unique renders that seperate themselves from the rest in some manner. And yes Mike only architecture, although I suspect that women would sell better. :)

I do have one questions though. The way the calenders work is that I pay a base price of $14.95 for each calender and everything after that, that gets marked up is profit. I do not have to pay any upfront costs as CafePress works on a one off principle, but I have offered to give a free calender to all of the image contributors. So I wanted to know how much people would be willing to pay for a calender, keeping in mind that this is to support CGarchitect. I was thinking of selling them for $24.95, so $10 profit for each one. Meaning I have to sell 21 of them to cover my costs for the free calenders. What do you think of this price? Would you still buy one? I know it is a bit more than a normal calender by about $5 but this is for a good cause. :)

Jeff

• Administrators

If your image get's picked, then the image size must be minimum 11.5" x 9" at 150dpi. (now you can apply whay you have learned on the dpi thread ;) )I have other info that I require as well, but I can get that info from people once the decision hs been made to select a particular image.

Any kind of architectural image are good. I do want to try to get this calender out by mid month, so I have to have all the image selected sso that I can crop and add text to all of them before I upload the images to the CafePress site.

Originally posted by Fernando Lima:

Hey Jeff, that would be very cool. When you say submit images, what's the size (pixels) of these images? Can we send anykind of architetcural renderings? Do we need to print text, logos or stuff like that?

Too many questions? Sorry,about it.Thanks anyway.

btw Jeff, what dpi thread?

as you know, 11.5 x 9 inches @ 150 dpi equates to a massive 4382 x 3429 pixels, which im sure hardly anybody here renders at.

i have an image i'd like to submit which is currently 2000 x 1500 pixels @ 200 dpi. resizing to the resolution you mentioned doesn't degrade the quality of it one little bit, also considering it wont be printed any bigger than A4 landscape probably. is this ok?

"I have already emailed 13 people (12 months + cover) however, I have only heard back from about 5 or 6 people"

I am little confused...does this mean that there will be a competition, or that you have chosen specific people?

• Administrators

HUH?? I think you need to read that DPI thread STRAT, or your calculator needs new batteries. :)

11.5 @ 150dpi = 1725 pixels.

9 @ 150dpi = 1350 pixels.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000089

The specs are 11.5 x 9 cropped to 11 x 8.5 for a full bleed.

as you know, 11.5 x 9 inches @ 150 dpi equates to a massive 4382 x 3429 pixels, which im sure hardly anybody here renders at.

• Administrators

Well I am choosing the images and I have chosen specific people for the sake of speed in getting this done before the end of the month, but I know already that many of them will not or have not replied becuase they didn't register with a valid email address. I am therefore opening the floor to more submissions and suggestions. Based upon those and some of alternates that I had chosen I will select the final images that will go into the calendar.

Originally posted by mbr:

"I have already emailed 13 people (12 months + cover) however, I have only heard back from about 5 or 6 people"

I am little confused...does this mean that there will be a competition, or that you have chosen specific people?

• Administrators

Ahha! That would do it! 2.54 times bigger. We were racking our heads trying to figure out what your calulation was. :)

We are all messed up in Canada. Some things are metric and others imperial. Paper is imperial and so are contruction plans and building materials. But fuel in in Liters and speeds are in KM/h. AT the grocery store things are measured in both KG and Lbs. Personally I think everything should be metric...who on earth ever though base 12 was a good idea???

;)

Originally posted by STRAT:

hehe, sorry my obvious mistake, those numbers i quoted were for dots per cm and not per inch. ;)

Hi all,

Greg: a calander contest... great idea! We must not forget about this for next years issue!

Mike/Strat: looooooool... Maybe we can make a cgarchitects girlfriends/wifes calander :-ppp

Jeff: Do you still need more images? We would really like to submit one of course. And ow... of course we want a calender too ;)

rgds

nisus