3D vegetation programs

FlytE

Ive seen alot of great renders with 3D vegetation in it recently, trees, plants, flowers etc - all great stuff. Im really interested in using 3D plants etc so I was wondering if anyone can give me a heads up or more specifically, some sort of comparison between Onyx and XFrog, which both seem to be the best creators Ive seen so far. Of course by all means if there is better and ive missed it I would love to know about that as well!

Hi, Ive been using Xfrog for about 3-4 years now, i started with some of the ready made librarys which are exellent. They are very high quality, but also high on the polys. They also use Alpha maps for the leaves, which is good for detail but not so good for rendering if you use something like Vray. (Note, there are ways to speed this up)

I then moved on to Xfrog 3.5 which is there modelling software, this is great but can be complicated ( lots of Parameters). You can also in 3.5, change the tree/plant leaves from a Alpha map leaf to Geometry leaf which speeds rendering up no end.

I cant coment on Onyx as i havn't used it. But what ive seen, it looks like it does a good job, though i personally think Xfrog has the edge where quality/ detail is concerned.

Hope that helps,abit.....

it definitely does. Truthfully I was sort of leaning towards xfrog but it always helps to know whats out there. So whats the learning curve like roughly? I know vray welll enough so if I was to get xfrog tomorrow, roughly how long would you say it wouild take to be up to speed with it and producing decent enough trees? ...