DSL modems for Verizon?

I need to replace a broken DSL modem that's not under warranty, and I know nothing about this stuff. It's on Verizon DSL, with their plan that gives a whopping 80-90kB/s and uses PPPoE. I don't think the model that I was using before is made anymore.

Can anybody who uses Verizon DSL (or has general DSL expertise) tell me what I need to know when buying a modem? Or tell me what brand and model you're using? The Verizon guy mentioned that CompUSA sells an ActionTec modem that works with Verizon, but all I see on their web site is an ActionTec kit for Qwest DSL and some Zoom ADSL modem+router boxes. (Does an ADSL modem work with DSL?)

I think I still have a modem from Verizon for DSL, sitting in a box. They were supposed to send me an address label of where to return it (when I switched to cable several years ago), but they never sent it. I'll look for the box, see what there is to learn.

I may go back to Verizon for fiber-optic service, it's a dedicated 30Mbits, where my cable is shared 15Mb (though I almost always have at least 9Mb).

A couple of years ago when I had dsl, the modem broke--also not under warranty. I just bought a Zoom modem online and it worked great. Don't remember any specifics, although it wasn't Verizon, we started with Pacbell which turned into AT&T which turned into SBC which I think is AT&T again.

Bottom line is that as long as the new modem is meant for your dsl speed it should work.

I think the "A" in adsl stands for asynchronous, which is the commom type of dsl that home subscribers get. (The Zoom modem I got was listed as an adsl modem.)

I think the "A" in adsl stands for asynchronous, which is the commom type of dsl that home subscribers get. (The Zoom modem I got was listed as an adsl modem.)

I had ADSL. What that meant was a 1.5Mb downsteam speed, where 'regular' DSL was half that. The speeds have been raised to compete with cable.

it wasn't Verizon, we started with Pacbell which turned into AT&T which turned into SBC which I think is AT&T again.

Verizon used to be NY Telephone (the bastards!) and became Verizon, which recently bought MCI (the bastards!) out of bankruptcy. AT&T is now at&t.

In Boston it was Nynex, which merged with all the companies it could find an address for and became part of Bell Atlantic, which merged with GTE (which used to own Sprint but spun that off earlier) to become Verizon, which now competes with Sprint in just about all the market sectors either of those companies is in. I would have stopped trying to pay attention years ago if I didn't have stakes in it. Anyway, thanks everybody, I think I need to go find a big computer store and find out what's available.

One more thing: When I was shopping around for a new modem--there were none to be found at the usual places, best buy, comp usa, etc. They only carried cable modems. That's why I had to get one online. (bastards!)

AJ-

Given your request, this is probably a bit 'out of left field', but I just had a really good experience with setting up a friend with a Verizon EVDO wan card. The speed was much faster than you getting w/DSL, and with the EVDO card plugged into the back of a Kyocera KR1 wifi router, it essentially functioned just like a typical cable modem/wifi setup. I suspect it's a bit more expensive than your DSL ($60/mo) but it's quite fast and you can take it (most) anywhere. Not sure if it fits well/relates well to your needs, but thought I'd throw it out there... it's the most impressive piece of new technology I've encountered in a long time... especially when using it on a laptop while travelling 60mph down the interstate (yeah, someone else was driving).