My Trees

AirWolf

I wanted show some of my trees that I created with the help from Dennis' wonderful brushes found at www.gardenhose.com. These trees are for use with a gaming mod I'm working with called Incursion. Dennis' high-res brushes allowed me to create some great 1024x1024 leaf/branch 2D planes for my trees. Take a look:

Inc Trees 1

Inc Trees 2

Inc Trees 3

Inc Trees 4

The trunks and 3D branches were created with Treemagik G3 while the 2D planes were placed and created by me with the help of Dennis' brushes in PaintShop Pro.

Enjoy!

Nice work James. I love the sawed off trunks. Wonderful.

If you ever move into L-system stuff, let me know. There are some solutions there, yet undiscovered, that could lead to better realism and far lower poly counts. Then again, I may be wrong.

Regardless, thanks for the mention.

Dennis @ DigArts

Trees & paints to create them

http://www.gardenhose.com

If you ever move into L-system stuff, let me know. There are some solutions there, yet undiscovered, that could lead to better realism and far lower poly counts. Then again, I may be wrong.

Dennis, could you please elaborate on the L-system stuff. I've never heard of that so I had to google it to find out what it is. The problem I run into is that most of the tree generators I've tried generate a model that is just way too high poly to use in a multiplayer game. So the only way I've found to keep a tree low poly is to use 2D planes that are painted with the leaves and branch. That's where your brushes come in. But if you have any suggestions on a way to generate lower poly counts and better realism, I would definitely love to hear your advice.

Dennis, could you please elaborate on the L-system stuff.

Not really. I'm the last person here who should try to elaborate on L-systems in plant morphology. In fact, it may be the wrong reference.

I read up on Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz's work six or seven years ago, but I've forgotten most of it. See http://algorithmicbotany.org/

I'm thinking more in terms of XFrog, Speedtree and those implementations. While they too offer plant morphology, I don't know that they're pure L-system implementations. The trunks and branches probably, but not the leaves and foliage.

[...passes baton off to anyone who'll take it.]