A test with artistic language

Rick Eloy

Hey, everybody!

I just read and answered the poll about NPR and it made me think...It's been a while since my last post here, so I decided to post a test I'm doing with it. The "normal" rendering is already here in the Gallery, now here goes my first attempt to turn it into an art image.

qbpaint.jpg

I used the infamous Photoshop 5, no plugins nor filters. Only default brush and my good, old 3-button mouse...

Let me know what you think!

[]

Rick

[ August 14, 2002, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Rick Eloy ]

nice image, perhaps one thing to improve it would be the cars. They still appear to have too much detail. Whenthis is compared to the virtually conceptual style of the building, there appears to be a contrast of detail. Soft them and bleach the cars out a little. Many be a little less saturation too. Then you're eye isn't drawn too much into extra detail. PLus the shine makes them look a little like toy cars.

anyway, what the f@£k do i know!

Strat:

can you elaborate a bit on the teckniques and times involved when you did this?
If you guys think it's worth it, I'll do it (with details) gladly! Now, I can tell you it's really fast (this image took like 5 minutes to treat) and easy. All you use is the eraser...

Matt:

Whenthis is compared to the virtually conceptual style of the building, there appears to be a contrast of detail.
As I said before, this was only a test of this technique, not a real job. So, the point here was to be able to compare the 2 versions (this and the one in the CG Gallery on http://www.cgarchitect.com/gallery/image_spotlight.asp?fileName=quickbuilding ). In a near future, I'll make a model specially for this kind of presentation, if it prove itself a good way to present a model.

Anyway, thank you so much for the tips, specially about saturation! :)

[]

Rick

Hi Rick,

Glad you like the topic about NPR ;) and great that you tried it too.

I like your NPR-image better than the original one, because I like the feeling of unfinished art.

Be sure to share your techniques ;)

rgds

nisus