Church Pew

Tony

I need some critcs on this simple church pew. I'm going to model and render a church with 420 of these 8' pews, so I need to get them right.

I know it's very basic compared to the work I've seen here on this forum, but any input about the textures would be appreciated. Thanks.

pew.jpg

Simple yeah - but most likely it'll be effective with the quantity you're speaking about. For one, you'll want your poly count to be lower on repetitive objects, so simple is good. Two, if there are 420 of these, chances are a single one won't become a focus point in any given image (I'm assuming there will be alot of wide open shots) and the pews will just become "part of the structure". In the real world, all 420 would be practically identical as far as construction, and the only visible variation would be in the wood. You wouldn't want 420 materials just for the pews to get the difference, but you might be able to mix a procedural map with the wood texture to acheive this. If this appeals to you, post a question regarding this - there's a few people on here that could really help you out along those lines.

Ken Walton

I would not want the polygon count to be much over a thousand for this object - ~500,000 polygons before you've even started.

However, depending on the renderer you use, I would make every copy an Instance, as this is more memory efficient at render time if you're renderer takes advantage of Instanced geometry. VRay does and I think Brazil does too (maybe only in 1.0). This would let you get away with a higher polycount.