Globe Telecoms

bluebox

the flooring, as well as the color scheme is of client specification. there's not much i can do about it. the shadow already has a bias value of .1. The background is just for presentation. It's an exhibit booth for a hotel lobby, of which the client did not want included, and would have been tedious to model, considering no photograph was given for compositing.

Good day to all

[ August 27, 2002, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: jucaro ]

My first impression is that the surface colors are far to saturated. Even if you've sampled colors from actual materials, in 'real life' our perceptions are very different for a variety of reasons. In any case, extremely vivid colors appear 'cartoonish'. Blurring the 'flooring' map will also lend credibility to the image. I can't see fine details in floor patterns at that distance, but I'm stuck staring at a CRT too often. redface2.gif

It looks also like there is a single overhead light casting all of these shadows, and that the ambient light level is too high. "Contrast defines form" as my profs used to say. Without distinctions in light and dark it gets that 'flat' look. More lights will also create more interesteing shadows.

IMHO, exhibits are tough because they are so affected by light outside of your control. Look into shooting with the classic '3-point lighting' set-up (a good overview is at 3Drender.com) or fake in a number of lights to give the same feel that might exist in that lobby. Add more if needed, to selectively highlight areas of interest.

In the end you should work with views closer to eye level. As descriptive as they may be, an overhead shot will never represent the human experience of an exhibit (unless from a balcony). If the client wants an overhead as a descriptive image, have at it, but offer at least one view from a lower vantage point. Clients don't always know what they want till they see it, and even then they still aren't sure!

Hope this helps a little.

--Chris A