WIP what I'm doing that isn't the challenge

So much to model, so little time...and so damned many client changes to keep up with. I thought these buildings looked better when they had darker brick. Now it is so light you can hardly make out the accent stone from the field brick.

08-23-02-J-F.jpg

08-23-02-misc1.jpg

I have to mass in some surrounding buildings from an aerial photo set to scale (shadows will yeild height).

In the end this picture will be a hybrid painting, so the CG look of these WIPs will be gone.

Closer views are more dynamic, but the top image is one that the client wants, and the other (not shown) is similar.

I would really rather be doing the house GI rendering.

Oh, well,

Ernest Burden III

nice presentation.

nisus - this method of putting a 3d model on a sketch/cad site plan, it's a method i often apply to great effect. it gives a pleasing mix of computer 3d graphics on a 2d plan. kind of a 'desk top model' concept.

Originally posted by nisus:

A small question: did you overlay the underpainting in ps afterwards? or did this effect came straight from your renderer?

It's straight from Lightscape. The ground is mapped with an aerial photo I put together from images from mapquest.com. I used the map to mass in the surrounding buildings, basing the heights on the length of shadows (with one existing building of known height). My contract only called for massing context. The cylinder mapped skyine came from photos of the site emailed to me from the client. I added the plan from one CAD file for the new buildings and one scanned non-CAD plan for the neighboring existing. This was useful so I could model and setup the buildings in seperate files and combine in Lightscape.

cresOA.jpg

cresOA2.jpg

In the end, the picture will be a digital/watercolor hybrid, so I have modified the brick texture to include hand-drawn brick-coarse lines, visible in this view (one the client did NOT go for, unfortunately):

cres-balcview1.jpg

I will probably paint a glass texture and map it to the windows. I will use Lightscape flat renderings to generate a line drawing and then make it look hand-drawn in Photoshop, etc. My usual bag of hybrid tricks.

Here are some panoramic spin files of this model, WIP stage:

http://www.acmedigital.com/temp/spin-cres-5.jpg

http://www.acmedigital.com/temp/spin-cres-2.jpg

http://www.acmedigital.com/temp/spin-cres-7.jpg

If you want to see these, and do not have a pano viewer then here is PTviewer, a great stand-alone app that does not install, just run it from whereever you have the file and select the spin files

http://www.acmedigital.com/temp/PTViewer.exe

Thanks for the responses,

Ernest Burden III

Well I think it's looking good so far, some really nice details, I have a few questions though. The pinkish/beigeish color on the top of the building, is that from the texture or the lighting? If it's from the lighting I think you need to change it to either a more yellowish color or a more orangish/redish color depending on the time of day you want it to be. Another question, you seem to be a good ways into it but how long do you have left to complete it (just curious)? Also, I think the glass looks pretty good right now, what were you planning on changing it to? Keep it up the good work, seems like you have your hands full though.

I was talking about the colorwash Ernest added in the first image, not about the plan ;-p

OH, THAT! Yes, that is a color ovelay I put on in Photoshop. It's a standard watercolor underlay, as described in my tutorial of digital/WC renderings. I don't know if Jeff updated the link when I moved my website recently

http://www.acmedigital.com/tutorial/tutorialLS-WC.html

(I hope I got all the image links corrected)

Ernest Burden III

Originally posted by Lanni:

The pinkish/beigeish color on the top of the building, is that from the texture or the lighting?.

That, and yes, its been bugging me also, is from the roof color bouncing up onto the crown. I'm going to turn down or off its color reflectivity.

how long do you have left to complete it (just curious)? Also, I think the glass looks pretty good right now, what were you planning on changing it to?
I have a few days per view to go. I have to produce watercolor paintings. But what my client won't realize is that these will be about 75% digital images. I will paint a watercolor wash for the windows and map in on. That way, they will look right with minimal hand painting later. This saves a lot of time.

Thanks again for the comments

Ernest Burden III

How did you export those flattened jpg's? What software did you use to make those?

I do not understand the question. What do you mean by flattened jpegs? Do you mean the aerial photos? If so, I got them from mapquest.com, saved many that overlapped slightly and assembled in Photoshop, then simply mapped onto my ground surface (which has a little topography).

If I guessed wrong, would you restate the question, please?

Ernest Burden III

Originally posted by CHE:

How did you export those panoramic spin files? What software did you use to make those?

The panos are simply rendered out of Lightscape. Export>panoramic

I added the skies for effect by using the KPT6 SkyEffects filter in Photoshop.

Once rendered, the pano is just another image file, so you can do all sorts of things to them.

A recent project was to produce seven panos showing what you would see from the windows of certain units in a housing block. The client was going to use them in a sales office, and maybe on their website.

Ernest Burden III