how do you ask your boss for new equipment and software

Easy, create a proposal that shows him "saving" money by investing in a better computer for you.

Of course this may result in a sacrifice on your end, so be careful in your wording!

Examples:

"Right now I'm spending a large amount of time waiting for jobs to finish, a faster computer would reduce the amount of dead time in between renders, allowing me to get more work done"

"With a faster computer, we'll be able to reduce the time it takes to render scenes, which enable me to apply changes faster, and provide better feedback to clients"

"OMFG Greg, stop giving us absolutely horrible things to say, nobody in their right mind would tell their boss this stuff!!!!"

Depending on the intelligence of your boss, you could try things like...

"The newer computers have 100x the color choices"

or

"The newer the machine, the better the final render output, as faster machines can spend more time on making things look nice!"

Ray

Take The boss out on a Friday afternoon

get him nice and loosened up 1st b4 asking

maybe a rule of Thumb for computer purchases

1 beer per $1000 USD or 1 beer per peripheral?

maybe 1 pitcher of beer per etc Item

just an idea

Randy

if an image is worth a 1000 words is a 'picture' of beer worth a 1000 beers?

well for a 64 bit Boxx, 3dStudio, Vray, Piranesi, Onyx.. etc

they already supply ADT to all the stations...

I would guess that would be about US3000 per year..

the history here has been, the render people just owned their own software on it. in that it was considered a cute toy to play with now and then. i am the first full time user.

i have tried basically to point out how strong the industry is using this and just how many increasing applications there is for viz. my opinion is that clients are now expecting it. and low rate the firm if they don't provide that service. or am i off track... :confused:

Might be worth talking with him and securing some sort of yearly budget, see what value he places on your equiptment. Try to get a guideline for asking for a new computer, every year, every 5 years?

our IT staff is trying to stay on a schedule of upgrading 15 machines every quarter, that sets up the office so no one has a computer thats more than three years old. I think five years is a tad too long in my opinion, our hardware and software technologies are advancing too fast to stay ahead with machines that lag to far behind.

that sounds pretty good to me....

i think tho we somewhere in the 5 year trade out scheme..

btw what do you do with the outdated pc's

give them to friends and relatives...

thats a pc out the backdoor about every 2-3 months.

also, do you go into the wide screen mode...

16:9 ratio...

btw what do you do with the outdated pc's

give them to friends and relatives...

thats a pc out the backdoor about every 2-3 months.

also, do you go into the wide screen mode...

16:9 ratio...

every now and then they hold an in house silent auction and you can bid on old equipment.

as for screen format the majority of the people in our office are either working on dual 19" lcd (not widescreens) or will be switching to that setup with their next upgrade. That of course is referring to desktops, a handful of our designers who travel alot and use laptops with a widescreen format have widescreen lcds to hookup to while in house for working.

screens are just a personal taste thing, I work on dual 19s at work cause that's what we decided we wanted and pushed to the IT to get us. Whereas at home I work on a single 19" widescreen, and find it to be plenty of space most of the time. best thing you can do is test run em, and go to the computer stores and check it all out to decide.