mental ray materials

mskin

• 2 weeks later...
Wait, are you trying to use a Lume Glass as a map in a DGS? I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do that.

Why not?

To me it's simple: I use a lume glass in a DGS for nice opaque/frosted glass, and a raytrace material for normal glass (max8)... changing things in max9 of course!

nisus

• 2 years later...
I've got to thank you guys. I've learned a ton through this discussion and exploring the materials here at home tonight. im having a blast and my renders are much improved. I will be posting some images for you to check out as i rebuild my model with these MR materials.

Hello

I don't know what computer you have. I've a PIV. Memory is not realy enough in my computer. Each time I must render with V-Ray, this is the horror. Enough time to make a ride in cycle around my city. Mental Ray is for me a better choice when I want like you something different, more fine than scanline. There are also many fine Raytrace material include with Max ( I have the 9.0 ).

I will "chock" all V-Ray fans but I use only V-Ray to be able to "open" downloaded models realized with it. Once the model is open, I replace all the HUNGRY OF MEMORY" V-Ray materials by other Mental Ray or Raytrace. The look is always very fine but the render time is multiply by 10...

Germain Caron