Challenge#2: Nuno Faria - WIP#2

nuno

Hi All,

Like I said before, I´m doing this on a P3 650Mhz with 512Mb RAM, in LightScape.

Radiosity solution did take about 4 hours (+/-95%)

Render did take much longer (about 16 hours all images).

Here it is my ´PROCESS PARAMETERS´:

*mesh spacing:

- min: 0.1

- max: 0.8

*subdivision contrast threshold:

*skylight accuracy:

*direct source:

- min: 0.1

- subdivision accuracy: 0

*indirect source

- min: 0.05

- subdivision accuracy: 1

*shadow grid size: 2

I think I will have to remodel the whole thing, because I´m having some trouble with the Radiosity (image 4 right corner).

I did some improvements that ´Nisus´ sugere, and I think it is better now.

EVERY comments are Welcome,

Best regards

Nuno Faria

nunoWIP2.jpg

WOW nuno....excellent work. It should be more of a finished work instead of a WIP. Still.

The lighting on the walls is excellent, very warm feeling. I think you should work on image 1's background though. With such accurate lighting it would be a shame to use such a background. Amongst all images (4 of them), and except for the little artifacts in image 4, there is only one thing that caught my attention, and that's the sharp reflection on the floor of image 1. Try softneing it with some bumps and lessening the IOR or shinness of the floor. Other than that..great work.

PS: i have remodeled the scene for lightscape (all clipped boundaries of the floors).....all in surfaces (not solids), so if u want it, just give me a sign and i'll post it or give u a link

these are beautiful - nice composition, very warm colors (these are the first i've seen to use that red-ish gamma - due to the stone)...

good old lightscape fights back to prove - it's not in the tool, it's how u use it ;)

raytracing times were very high. for this expense it should really afford some soft reflections from the floor (try very small bump - below 0.01, and antialiasing of at least 5).

but all in all - like photos taken from Architectural Review or such a mag ;)

ok, sorry for the delay, i was out all day....and all night ;) .I just uploaded the model, it's here . Just click on "Download". There r some notes though. the layers:

- 4 pools walls (except one of the 4 pools)

- tree hole walls

- pool walls

need to have their face orientation reversed.

Sorry about that (although i checked all faces before exporting - i must have missed these ones)

One more thing, Nuno, i need to ask u for this little favor. What settings did u use for the wall materials, and how do u achieve a soft look on the direct illuminated regions. My renders get washed out on these regions. I need some settings plz, like Sky (color, cloudy, etc), Sun , materials, etc..... I'm not asking u to do the render for me ;) , i just need some guidance. After all the purpose is to learn, right? well i'm eager for this, so hope u guys can help.

Oh, and Jeff if u're not too busy, u can dig in too..... :D

rgds

TAKA

Nuno, fantastic work! The first image reminds me a feeling of Mediterranean. :)

Agree with TAKA, the reflection on the ground is too strong. Another thing that I think needed to be considered is the tree - I'm not saying we have to clone the actual one, just think a small tree maybe more suitable for this sort of architectural space.

[ August 22, 2002, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Charles.Archdream ]

Hi ALL,

To Charles: in the begining I didn´t think like you, but now after a few tests i will have to agree with you. My next post in 1 or 2 days will have a few changes...

To Francois: the trees are all image maps, you know.....in LS all faces count. ;)

To Taka: the wall is a "paint flat" material with white color.....i think what you want to know is not the most important thing. what you have to do is setup the TYPE of material (masonry, paint, plastic, metal, stone, etc...) to be the most real possible.

LS almost do everything for you (in the material field).

Now, in my opinion the most "hard" part is the Process Parameters field. In here, you will have to do your own experiments. I advise you to begin with the wizard to understand how does it work, and start with the refinement phase.

This is a "LITTLE" bit complex to explain you in forum how the light reflects and difuse to the space, but i can garantee you that is based on type of material amongst other things.

whenever i have a doubt, i see the LS help. That´s the best guidance there is i think.

But if you still want to know the parameters i used, i´ll do some "print screens" for you. ;)

Thanks to ALL

Nuno Faria

Hi nuno,

Excellent work! I really like the warm feeling of the house. Your camera setup is great - especially 2 and 4. Camera 3 is a bit daring (symmetrical) but due to it's lighting it's adding a lot to the simple harmonic centric perspective.

Still some remarks to make it really outstanding:

- floor tiling: the tiles still don't match the pool. I like the mapping, so personally, I'd broaden the pool a bit.

- floor tiling/mapping: I got a strange feeling that the tiles in camera 1 do not have the same seize as the ones in camera 2,3 & 4.

- I liked the position of the shadow striking from the tree without leafs in camera 1 better in your first post because the overlap in the corner of the pool was very subtle!

rgds

nisus

Hi nisus,

thank´s for the comments.

And...I think you´re right about the tiles.

they still don´t match, and you know why?......because i don´t know how to do it. In LightScape is a little bit dificult to do mapping. Maybe i´ll do it in Max or i need to read more help files, anyway... I WILL MAP THIS LIKE A GLOVE. :D

About the tile size, it´s the same in all cameras, only in cam1 the "focal lenght" is 35mmm and the in the rest is 22mm.

Best to you

Nuno