Performing arts center

Hi rafaello,

Your model looks like a scale model, i.e. I don't get a real sense of scale that a buildings has. It's like a small object. Maybe change camera setup to enhance this effect, or add some references (people, silhouttes).

rgds

nisus

Your model looks like a scale model,
I had the exact same reaction. But I thought it may have been intentional. The grayboard model is something very familiar to anyone that has spent much time studying or working with architecture. So it could be a 'look'. What is really interesting about this is WHY we both saw it as a model. It could be the lack of scale reference, or maybe a sense of scale to surface (smoother materials look larger?) or perhaps the parts don't appear to fit together completely.

I would love to see the same images with site and entourage to test that reaction.

Your model looks like a scale model...

It does, I agree. I like how it looks like a product you could pick up and play with, open it up, move parts, look through the holes, etc...

It would be great to see an exploded assembly type of illustration of this 'product'

i am studing the architectural-exterior parts of the building, this is not only 3d visualization, is all the project.
But scale is as much an aspect of design as anything else. The point is to figure out WHY the images seem to show a model and not a building...maybe there is something about the design itself...you can find out by adding some scale elements to the CG and see if the problem goes away. If it does not, then the design must be looked at with regard to its sense of scale.

Idd very interestig Ernest.

Imho the amount and detail of modelling is almost exactly like a scale model. Details are not real life assembles, but rather look glued like cardboard.

The materials do look like cardboard too, although I don't really think that the smoothness has much to do with the scale. Rather the size of the blurry noise blobs or the lack of gaps/panelling is responsible for this effect (imho).

Anyway, an interested look. Reminds me of a visualisation of my collegue, who used to make trees with spheres on sticks like they've been cut from wood. His renders where like detailed photographs from a physical model...

rgds

nisus

i really like that real card model style. some might say why bother just build it for real but i'm terrible at model making.

one of the guys on here from clcs arquitectos in portugal does the fake model thing really well.

what does anyone else think?

filepush.asp?file=modelimages1.jpg

Originally posted by Alex Ryan Rubio:

i think, it was rafaellos intention really to explore the design as you would with a model. as architects, the design process is dynamic, open to changes. to do a detailed 3d visualization, imho would be stifling to design as a process.

:) you are right!

Originally posted by Raffaello.S.:

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Ryan Rubio:

i think, it was rafaellos intention really to explore the design as you would with a model...

:) you are right! If that's the case then I have to ask why work in this way?

The digital model allows much more flexibility in exploring the model from a human perspective and proportion. It is much harder to explore a physical model in this way, unless you have an endoscope. So with you working with a virtual model I have to ask why you have explored this model as if it was a physical model, reintroducing the limitations of perspective and proportion (ie the camera views, particularly in images 1 and 2). It may be a valid way of illustrating a design, but a dangerous way of exploring and developing a design, IMHO.

What is your intention with this design? To produce a building which feels right when made to 1:100 scale and placed on a table? Or a building which feels right when built 1:1 and placed into the real world?

Exploring the design as if it were a physical model may produce a success physical model at the end but it may not produce a successful building. It all comes back to scale. There is a scale issue with this design as it is presented here. Is it due to the viewpoint or the parameters of the model itself...

Look for forward to progress :D

marvellous (and tnx for the sound warning!)

seeing webpages like this, I wonder why I don't get an image when I click... why do webdesigners force me to wait 3 seconds before I can see any image... I get very bored on this! awful!!!

anyway, great images, but I managed only to see 5...

rgds

nisus

Hello. I'm the author of the images that someone posted here. My name's José Cadaval de Sousa, and I'm an architect from Lisboa, Portugal. My office name's CLCS arquitectos, I'm a founder. In my office I use to build "real" models of my projects, for study solutions for my work. I also do it in computer graphics, because it allows me to check a lot of views you're not able to do with a "real" 3d model. I was sick of the "realist" look of computer graphics, so I started making my 3d models to look like a real model...

Someone told that would like to see a bigger image. If so just email me jcs@netcabo.pt.

Now about my site: It's true that in some computers the sound is too loud. And the loop after a while becomes really disturbing. I will pay special atention to this aspects next time I'll upgrade the site :)

In what concerns to a slow download time for the page, well I can say that in most of the computers I tested it was really fast. And I also moved the server to a faster one.

Best regards,

JCS

Here's another example: triing to fake a foam model... :)filepush.asp?file=hdr_lagospiscinas9_1.jpgfilepush.asp?file=hdr_lagospiscinas11.jpg

Hi jcs,

Congratulations on your wonderful work. I really adore the style.

For my comments on your web: I didn't mean slow download times. The small animations before an images shows up annoyed me. Unfortunately, I must say, because people won't get to the quality work you've made.

Personally, I prefer the 'direct one click' way of surfing. Here is an example of our site: http://www.ams.be/sitev2/public/en/ObjList.asp?ObjTekst=e

rgds

nisus