Real work...

Jim Kessler

uhm, is this going to be built?

if you did it just for fun, i'd like to make a few comments about the construction (not the design!) if you don't mind.

the vertical beams are far too massive, they should be almost half to 2/3 as strong. the struts on top of the beams are useless, unless the whole thing is wood instead of concrete. (if its wood there might be some other problems)

i'm not sure about the dimensions, but a rule of thumb: width + 2xheight of a stair should be about 61-63cm. for example: 16cm height, 30cm width.

window frames are never at a level with the facade, and they should be about 8x8cm strong.

i hope i used the right words, i don't know how this things are called in english...

[ August 16, 2002, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Marc Lorenz ]

nisus: Arbitrary..

marc: This is an actual design. Dimensions should be correct. Vertical elements are 4x4's (ok, so they should be 3-1/2" by 3-1/2" due to niminal sizing). It is wood construction. The struts are just for looks. Stairs are 8" risers with 12" run. Good critque on the window frames, I agree. I will be adding shutters next and that should help also.

Originally posted by Rick Eloy:

Man! This is starting to look real good!

Rick

Yeah, looks fabu! I agree that the brick is too saturated and harsh.

The composition could benefit from a small change: can you extend the frame to the right to just past the edge of the tower? That would help a lot in making it clear that it IS a tower. I only know that by looking at your prelims. All of the entourage looks static. But I can almost feel the breeze. How about you show the breeze--put in a blowing banner, flag, woman's dress, bending or visibly blowing trees/plants?

And the interior is dark. I suggest doing two renderings, one to make the exterior look great but a bit bright, and another to make the interior look great but a bit dark, and layer them in Photoshop.

Nice work,

Ernest Burden III

Originally posted by Ernest Burden III:

The composition could benefit from a small change: can you extend the frame to the right to just past the edge of the tower?
That isn't clear enough. I mean extend to just past the next edge that would be visible, not necessarily the whole tower. Showing just a bit more implies the entire tower.

And in re-looking at the picture I wonder if you can extend the left frame, a lot. The picture is currently a square, and yet the sea presents a very strong horizon, a very expansive feeling. By framing this way you can increase the experience the picture gives the viewer.

In rendering we all too often get caught up in presenting the subject building just so, and can forget to give the site and the user experience it's due.

Ernest Burden III

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim

the modelling and lighting look great, but the images are let down by the texturing. the realism is totally lost. you must learn about texturing and colours, this is very important.

you obviously know the basics but it is worth taking time out to perfect them, these images could look so much better.