Are People stealing your glory????

superdave

Recently I was laid off from my long time job at JohnsonMcKibben Arch. in Dallas, Tx. During my search for new work I had a few revolations as far as my skills go. I quickly noticed in my search for a new job that many Architect Firms had alot of images That I Had Help Create or Did Create plastered on the walls of their office. At first I was pissed seeing how I was laid off due to lack work and these people where taking my and my teams glory. Then it got so wild it became humerous and I even became flatered a little. Seeing it as a compliment in a strange way. But they are still taking my teams glory for them selves (even putting their names on the images).

While some participated in the project I'm not sure if they should posses so much of our creations.

Know i'm working for one of those very firms and am having alot of resentment towards the company should i say something, ignore it, or find another job. God knows I need a job and in this market today I can't complain to much.

Just need some imput and feed back.

Tell me what you think of these situations.

And has this ever happened to you?

Let me know your feeliings on this subject.

[ October 25, 2002, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: superdave ]

Did they "steal" the image? I'm not sure what you are talking about. If it is an image of one of their projects that you produced, they still can use it. You created the image, and that is fine. As long as no one else puts it in their portfolio and says that they produced it. I am sure a lot of people here have images all over the place with no credit. I've even seen sleezy developers take our images of buildings and have big articles in the papers about the projects, but not mention the architect (and the firm is Gensler... no small firm). They even have a caption under the image saying "artist rendering." I personnally don't care... I don't create images to have my name on the bottom like it was a real piece of art... I work for Gensler and they take the credit for the work... which is what the image usually says on the bottom right.

In terms of finding another job... the best time to look for a job is when you already have one. Always look, but always avoid being without one.

Well when they are tring to say they created it instead of saying that they simple participated in the project thats when I get destressed. I have even seen my work in other firms proposals for new work. I have a hard time with this. I am an artist not an architect. So I don't recieve the compensation reward as an architect would it is a pride thing for me. I love seeing something come to live and help it on its way. I agree with you but still feel it is NOT PROFESSIONAL.

I think that everyone should establish an agreement with the employer before accepting a job offer. I know that is hard and that it might don't work all the time but it wouldn't hurt to try. Big companies will always hold the rights of all the work that you have produced. There is not too much you can do about it but learn from the experience. It would be bad for you to try to confront your old boss/company (specially if you are looking for a job, you'll need professional references). Yes I know, it is not fair but that's how it works. Don't waste your time, move on and good luck in your job hunting. My 2 cents. Cheers.

[ October 25, 2002, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: CHE ]

take it as a compliment, i do.

in 5 years doing archi imagery for my firm i've done literally hundreds (nay thousands) of published peices for them.

What my firm does with these images, who they give them to and who takes credit for them is entirely between my firm and the consultants/clients. i dont know what policy my firm has regarding this, but it's not my concern.

We dont always release images with credits or logos, sometimes i'm asked to put completely foreign credits i've never heard of on them. I'm just employed there, i personally dont own the imagery myself.

I also see my piccys showing up in other ppl's offices, street billboards, news paper articles and even on the news. i never even knew these ppl had access to them.

I dont mind as i see it as not my place to complain. i am just a cog in a machine. my bosses decide what goes where.

saying that i ALWAYS digitally paste my own signature somewhere in the image to let ppl know who done it.

My boss doesn't much like this but as i told him, watercolour artists always sign their work why is CG art any different?

i dont sign imagery at the bottom corner any more since ppl inevitable crop it off, so these days i'll inconspiculasly sign my pics somewhere in the main body of the image. at least i know it's there and i can point it out.

hope this helps some.

ingo - i would say thats most possitive.

when i went for my interview with my current employers i showed them my portfolio which had a strong percentage of their architecture in it.

they were most impressed. happy we had something in common, happy it was theirs too and happy they would employ me to do their imagery rather than farm it out like they did in the first place :)

Would anyone mind giving a rough estimate as to what someone can expect to get paid working for an architectural firm doing renderings and animations? I am educated as an architect (and have worked for firms before), but have moved into this field for the normal hours and better pay. I know what you can get doing it as a company/freelance, but not sure what people are paying inhouse 3D people.

Any ballpark figures would help. Thanks.

Strat I like the idea of descretly placing your signiture on all you art. As for everything else I should just get used to it. I'm just tring to do the best I can to be great in this field. And its frustrating when you have your own Buss. on the side since I have total control over this problem. Its just a frustrating thing that I have to learn to deal with.

Just add small initials to the work you do to the original that you can claim is entirily your own. At least if companies are using your work then at least you know that you have signed it and can point out your name even if it is slightly blured. your boss doesn't even need to know you have done that unless it's realy obvious.