Scaling onyx trees

John Martin

I must be missing something but I am having issues bringing in a tree from Onyx into Viz. Here is what I am doing.

1. Make the tree I need in Onyx

2. Export the tree to 3DS using feet as the export units and adjusting polygons as necessary

3. Import the tree into Viz (here is where everything goes haywire)

4. Completely replace scene and convert units.

5. Tree comes in fine but REALLY tiny as far as scale goes (i.e. a 25' tree comes in only a couple inches tall so I have to scale everything up)

My units are set to feet and fractional inches and system units are set for

1 unit = 1 inch.

Anyone have an idea as to why this is happening. I am fairly new to Viz and if I can get this issue resolved I will quit pulling my hair out. I can continue scaling them if necessary but I would prefer them to come in at the proper scale. I am adjusting the materials and making V-Ray materials so when I merge into another scene I can make V-Ray proxies as necessary. Thanks for any help.

John

John, I would definitely try and bring them in through the treestorm plugin as opposed to 3ds.

And, while someone may come in and tell me I am totally High, my experience with .3ds files is they always are interpreted by MAX as being in english units, no matter what you do. And since you're forced to design the tree in Metric something is bound to be wrong.

I just wish the rest of the world would see the light and get on board with the english system, ;) but until then, get that treestorm plug in installed. it is a far superior method as you can enable UVW mapping, and adjust poly count (leaf pruning, and curving resolution) all within MAX/VIZ.