DWG -> Illustrator.

mzagorski

Following on from my post in general discussion about techniques of creating 3d axonometric in lines.. and adding colour.

Ive been working on my project.. and almost got the exploded axonometric finished. I did a test earlier to see how it was working so far.

I made a 120/120 axonometric (drawn in 2d) in Autocad, with seperate layers for Thick Lines, Hidden Lines etc so that I can change their properties in Illustrator.

filepush.asp?file=DWG_AI_TEST.jpg

This is my first test... I tried adding colour to different faces but I prefer the more technical looking black and white lines... colour makes it look like a set of lego instructions :p

I'll post the full image when its done.

A quick way to draw the axo in Ill would be to export a wire frame of the 3D model, then trace it in Ill using the Smart Guides. Also, if you import something into Ill you can select by line weight, by color, etc., and just copy and past onto separate layers, thereby enabling changes to be easily made down the line.

Well... what I tried to explain in my post is that I drew a few layers.

HIDDEN LINES -> For stuff that is going to be hidden.

THICK LINES -> For cut lines that I want to show thick...

and so on....

When you import the DWG into Illustrator, you can turn off the layers that you dont want.. and change the properties to a complete layer.. setting the dash size, colour etc.

Keeps things simple - in my opinion.

good start there

I usually do monochrome colouring for these types of diagrams, a few shades of a nuetral colour or a warm or cool grey. Sometimes I'll use 1 or 2 bright colours as like an accent, but I don't try to make every part of the drawing the colour in real life, the pallete gets too big and makes the diagram less coherent.

Hey Kid,

Here's my effort - This was straight from Autocad. I'll post the printed version sometime cos it looks better in my opinion :D

Hmm... Upload Utility doesnt seem to be working - nothing opens for me to browse for an image... Here's a URL instead. Its low res - but I'll put a higher rest final image online sometime.

http://www.mikezagorski.com/3d_renders.php (2nd last thumbnail)

With an old browser it works, and that JavaScript is far from simple. I use a similar script to open my pictures in a new window, without a html page, but it only takes a few lines of code. My errormessage :

--------------------------------------------------

Not Found

The requested URL /vwd_justso.htm was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.22 Server at mikezagorski.com Port 80

--------------------------------------------------

Great, now i get always a completly white window, heavy-snowstorm-in-Scotland style ;) And it doesn't start to download anything, while before i thin it started to download but than stops suddenly to diaplay the error. Works correct in Chimera (gecko engine) but wrong in Safari (KHTML engine) on OS X.

hmm... scottish snowstorm eh. Damn... Its a Mac running OS X :mad: ...hehe Well, sorry, but my site, as mentioned on the initial page (if Id linked you to the index page) it advises that IE or Nutscrape work best. Sorry, but I dont really cater for Mac's... can't please everyone cos I dont have a Mac for testing purposes.

IMHO - Mac are damn nice design, but I'll always be a PC man :D

Now that is funny, i've tried your site with iCab, now it displays your picture but the click-to-close doesn't work. Sorry , i have only those three browsers :D

So lets see, if i use Opera maybe it opens the window, shows the picture and closes it in one step :???: :D

FWIW - IE on OS 9 and X display the images and handle the clicks correctly. Safari (public beta 51) isn't displaying the image for me either.

It's coming from a "behavior" for Dreamweaver that uses page calls to generate the outcome. It doesn't appear to be a MacOS/Windows issue, as much as a browser compatability. The non Netscape/IE browsers just don't seem to be supporting the call.