progress renderings of condo interior

Paul Griger

Hi CGArchie-talkers,

Here is something I’m working on right now. I still have to add shades, lights, place settings, modify the appliances, tweak the textures, etc.., but I thought you could see what I’m working on.

Main structure modeled in ArchiCAD, furniture and cab pulls modeled in C4D, and rendered in C4D.

Can give C&C if ya want, not really looking for input yet, but I will need it in a short while once I am finished modeling the rest of the furniture.

Thx!

P.S. I just noticed that this looks a bit dark on my monitor, sorry.

kitchen_test.jpg

dining_test.jpg

Hi, Paul! Great modelling you got there!

I really like the details on the cabinets and all. The glass table also look terrific. I'd only say that you should take a look at the stone tiling. It's really big now, and ya know it's normally way smaller.

Can't wait to see it finished! Make sure you post the updates!

[]

Rick

Hi guys, thx for the kudos! :D

Nisus: that big grey thing is where the refrigerator will be. I used a stock model from ArchiCAD, but as you can tell it’s very primitive. It’s on my to do list. Kinda scary looking, isn’t it?

Strat: right now I just have an outside Sky object and a few interior omni’s lighting the place up. I have to model some lamps, cans, and a chandelier.

And while I have your attention Strat, I was going to ask you what you think I should use to get the look shown in the pendent glass shown below.

pendants.jpg

I wanted to model one of the two pendants shown and show three dropped pendants over the snack bar. I was thinking of using the SLA presets in “banji backlighting”.

banji_backlighting_text.jpg

Do you think I could accomplish a similar look with that material?

Rick: it’s good that you mentioned the stone tex. It caught my eye as off and I thought I maybe had to play with the UVW mapping, but maybe I just have to turn the scale down some, that would be nice.

Thanks for the kind words; I’ll keep you posted.

well, ideally you need a spot of sub surface scattering here, but unfortunately C4D dont yet support it. altho it aint that hard to fake.

you could try messing with SLA's banji material and banji back lighting but you may fine it solid to get ur head round and render times shoot thro the roof. and it's not stricktly ideal for this type of job either :/ try it tho.

personally i'd stick with plain old usual methods, ie - make the lamp shade semi transparent (about 75% opaque) and place a visible omni light in it where the bulb should go.

Use the self illum slide and the GI recieve slider to help out to.

Sorry i couldnt really be of more help Paul :(

keep us updated.

Hi Strat, thx for the reply.

Well, I guess I may give SLA a try, but it sounds like it may not work and will give me high render times even if it did work. I’m sure for this client that the typical method will be fine though. Thx for the tips!

I don’t have R8 yet. I have to check in w/Rafi at Maxon on when I can get my free upgrade. From the Postforum board it looks like some people had problems with their upgrade to R8 being shipped and their CC’s being billed without the users even being contacted to ask how they want to handle the S&H and payment. Yikes!

And Maxon had 1,500 orders to ship out last count so they are, according to the forum, asking people to be patient because Maxon has an undersized workforce to handle the demand for R8. So I guess I’ll wait till I get a little better at R7 till I get R8.

I did hear about the chess thing on Postforum though. You like chess? I love playing chess; maybe sometime we should hook-up on Yahoo games and play each other sometime. I’m not really that good, I only have an opening or two somewhat down. My middle and end game are pathetic. And if I ever start getting ahead in a game, I start playing reckless and then give up my queen. It’s frustrating, but fun!

I also heard about another egg that Maxon put into the early release. The “Vibrate tool” actually had the icon pictured as a vibrator.

vibrate.jpg

EDIT:

alexandre,

I'll take a look at the subsurface scattering plugin for c4d when i get a chance to see if it helps, but sounds like the both of you feel that i should go with the conventional method, so i probably will do that.

thx, paul

[ December 03, 2002, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Paul Griger ]