3D in autocad 2006 vs 2007

Macpod

Being reading up on these lately. as far as i understand it, 2006 is not too different from other releases that came before it as far as 3D modeling goes. But 2007 is more like sketchup then 2006.

Which one should i be learning? i dont have a copy of 2007 at the moment but is it also possible to model '2006 style' in 2007 and are their any benefits in doing that?

Any first hand experience with modeling in 2007? Is it better than 2006? and most importantly, are their are drawbacks to 2007 3d modeling compared to 2006.

thanks in advance

Mac

autocad 2007 has added a number of new features that are not available in earlier versions.

you can still model '2006 style' in 2007 like you suggest, but you would find the new tools hard to ignore/resist.

off the top of my head, some of the new features that have absolutely changed my way of modeling include.....

1.) dynamic coordinate systems (X,Y,Z)

2.) solid lofting and sweep functions for more complex organic forms (terrain)

3.) visual styles (as opposed to hide/shade modes),

4.) solid editing and sections from solids

rendering in autocad has also improved (more like MAX/VIZ) as well as additional tools for animation and camera setup (i don't render in autocad myself, but i teach it).

this is all my opinion, but i would definitely work with a demo copy of 2007 as least, and get a sense for the new features.

best of luck

paul

2007 is amazing! The interface is actually better/easier than sketch up in my opinion. its actually quite fun to use and everything seems to stay nice and tidy unlike sketch up. In sketch up i always end up with missing faces but it hasnt happened in 2007, maybe it cant!

Definately something to use for early conceptual design. havent tried the 3D-2D functions yet but heck its autocad, the 2d stuff cant be that bad. that ive section tool also sounds pretty sweet....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...