Is Form-Z lacking in some way?

Guest juko101

Guest juko101

Ok admittedly, my only signifigant experience is in Form-Z. I really like it, but then again, I learned it first. Nothing else seems to come as intuitively (to me, anyway) as Z. But when I search in the cgarchitect.com gallery for work done in Z, I get only 67 results vs. 535 for Viz and 730 for Max, for example. This leads to my question...

What does everyone else have that Form-Z doesn't?

Guest saturnfive

I started off using 'Z myself (on PC) I havn't really used it since v3.1 but I definitely found it more intuitive than it's competition.

As far as the advantages the competition has this is why I switched to max: 1) in UK architecture Autocad dominates and viz/max is pretty compatible with it. 2) most practices into 3D seem to use viz / max already 3) at the time max had far better viewport navigation controls (surprising how much difference that makes). 4) The max material editor seemed much more powerful

5) animation facilities 6) difficult to get books and find enough tutorials for 'z.

It's definitely a great 3D program, though. I really enjoyed using it.

What does everyone else have that Form-Z doesn't?
RENDERING!!!

Comparing to other progs you mentioned, FMZ is way behind in terms of rendering capabilities.

Maybe now in version 4.0 FMZ will get some decent rendering features...

Check the form Z section of the forum for some more answers abut the program, as we've discussed it quite a lot in the past.

>>What does everyone else have that Form-Z doesn't?

Its not from Autodesk ;) Choosing a software because 600 users in the cga forum use it and only 67 use my software is in my eyes, well dumb (sorry).

You have FormZ experience and you like it, so why not use it. In my case i use it now since 7 years, first i used FormZ's great rendering engine, than i switched to Electric Image and now i use Lightwave for almost two years. And i never had problems getting files out of FormZ to another software. FormZ's rendering engine (Lightworks) produces great results, especially the raydiosity engine, but is soo slooow, thats why most people prefer other renderers.

Personally i think FormZ is the best architectural modeller on the market, its a solid modeller with a good balance between CAD (accuracy, cell-librarys..) and "normal" 3D modelling and of course excellent export capabilities.

HTHINTN

ingo

Guest juko101

Ok bigk..

How do I get to past posts? Maybe I'm missing something here. I just feel that I need to learn somethine else to make myself marketable, you know? Even if I like Z the best.

I use Form-Z to model and 3D Studio to render/animate. Form-Z, in my opinion, is so much quicker to model in, especially things like Booleans. It's just a better layout and feature set for polygon modeling. Max would have to become much more intuitive and effecient for me to consider using it.

All of the architecture firms I've worked at (I am an architect first, CG guy second) use Form-Z for modeling, exclusively, and Max (sometimes) for renderings and animations.

The only draw back to Form-Z is the slow rendering (lights are better in Max, too) and animation. There are also the sweet plugins, like Final Render, Real People, etc., that aren't for Form-Z. If they would do something, like integrate Mental Ray (as Alias Wavefront did with Maya) and include a simple (but effective) animation capabilities, it would be the best solution out there. I like that they offer options, like you don't have to pay for Radiozity if you don't want to, which Discreet could learn from!

I've run FormZ for better than 8 years and don't recall running into an 'architectural' form that it can't model (from an industrial design standpoint it has a few weaknesses but that's an entirely different category).

The interface is 'different' and takes some getting used to but it's consistent. Version 4 reportedly will be supporting plug-ins so the potential for add on renderers will open up.

The biggest drawback (with regards to productivity) IMHO is a lack of file referencing. It's simple to import data but when modeling from an existing plan file it's a pain to handle updates coming from the 2D side.

Chris_A

[ November 01, 2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Chris_A ]

Well modeling like anything else can be completely dependent on the user. I started a LONG time ago as an autocad modeler. I started modeling pieces in 3D Studio. For the last 8 years, I use 3ds all the time. Once you get the process it is a very good modeler and is very practical for design studies based on the fact that it is parametric. I have turned many avid FormZ modeler, now calling the praises of 3D Studio modeling. The big thing is Parametric modeling, I can always go back in the stack, and endlessly tweak it in a non-distructive way. People always seem to think that in Arch. FormZ is for modeling and 3D Stduio is for rendering. At the current price of FormZ... that does not make any sense. I can model just as quick most things that people do in FormZ... plus, soft, rounds and blobby objects are a lot easier.

That is what I do... but it is all dependent on what you learn... I know some that do really fast and great arch. models in Maya... If you ever used it, you would know that it is hard.

Choosing a modeller is like choosing a religion, some people will welcome you and others will say must be crazy, no matter what you choose. Whatever you like the best stick with it. I think if you're worried about not being attractive to employers due to lack of Autocad knowledge then yeah learn it, but for your own work always use what you feel most comfortable with. I know Autocad inside and out (except lisp programming) but I never use it for my own work because I hate it. I'm a member of Rhino cult ;)

I still can't figure out how to get form-z to export to 3ds. My co-partner is using it to create some awesome models, but he's got absolutely no 3ds export ability. Quite annoying as we've tried everything to try to get it in there, as the site plainly says "3ds export ability".

Since were on the topic of form z...anyone know if some sort of additional export plugin must be installed during a custom install or what not for 3ds export success?

Yes I know I asked this question before.

Yes I know its annoying.

Yes I know that squirrels have taken over the east coasts supply of nuts.

Originally posted by Greg Hess:

Yes I know that squirrels have taken over the east coasts supply of nuts.

Well thats sad to hear Greg. :(

Regarding your minor FormZ problem, i will take a look at it sometime later the day.

ingo

Guest crazy homeless guy

greg...

if your co-partner is using a mac he will not be able to export 3ds. this is a pc version only feature. at least the last time i checked.

what app are you importing into?