Dual Monitor Color question..

Cesar R

Guys, quick related question,

i just bought a second Dell ultrsharp 20.1 monitor to along with the one I already have (same type) but i noticed that they colors are not the same from monitor to monitor... is that normal?

for instance a "white" document looks pretty white on one screen and when transfered to the "new" screen it has a tint of yellow/red.

Im just wondering how to fix that or if there is something wrong with my second "new" screen - which is the one that shows yellowish

Im using them both on a single graphics card ATI each connected to its own DVI output.

First off, every display device is different and will display color differently even when the settings are the same. What you need to do to get them as close as possible is:

First: calibrate each monitor individually as the single primary display using some calibration tool. There are some cheap ones out there...Eye-One, Spyder2 etc.. if you don't want to spend a bunch. This will give you a color profile for each monitor.

Second: You need to set up your OS to recognize the color profiles and use them... how to do this can very obviously depending on your OS. A google search for your OS and setting up color profiles should help out.

A side note that I found ~ If you are using an AGP dualhead card under Windows XP, you would need to download a Color Control Panel utility from Microsoft. If you are using an PCIe card then you can already assign the profiles to each device separately and do not need the utility.

Once both monitors have been calibrated then you should see very similar color but it will never be perfect... hope this helps somewhat