onyx trees

mskin

Onyx tress will crash your max file just as fast. Depending on your settings you can get some lower poly onyx trees. Plus Onyx can get a little wierd when you try to copy around the live onyx tree.

However to get a decent looking tree at about medium camera distance (5-8 feet away or farther) your typical onyx broadleaf tree is around 150-200 polys. Most of this is in the leaves.

If you are using vray, make the onyx tree, then proxy it. This way you can have a forest with little problems in max. Rendering may be another issue depending on your setups, but at least max will be stable.

There really isn't a standard answer to your question. Depending on species your onyx tree can be really light to really heavy on polygons. And then on top of it if you have a high polygon tree that's not being view up close, you can use foliage reduction and decrease the total count.

We tend to adjust the tree per the scene it's in and how close it will be to the camera. As for spreading them around, I almost always convert them to vrayMesh's and then instance them around to keep from having any memory problems. ( I realize you posted in the max thread.... you may not have vray to utilize this option)

• 1 month later...
your typical onyx broadleaf tree is around 150-200 polys. Most of this is in the leaves.

200? I'm seeing more like 2000 after hitting the 'minimize' button. Humm. Well, I just bought Onyx a few days ago. I already used a palm plant in a delivered rendering, though.

Two things that annoy me so far. First, when I start one of the modules (palms, broadleaf etc) and want to load a tree, it always goes to a generic folder, not the one with the library. And then when I export the model, I'm getting a 'I agree not to distribute any models' window that must be clicked. This isn't just the first time you use it? As if it should ever do that, but Onyx isn't going to do that every time I make a model is it?

And then another client spec'ed three trees, none in the Onxy library. And one of those was a London Plane. There's a similar one, but the London Plane is common as all heck, it should be in the library.

Oh, and the C4D export didn't deliver the texture maps for the leaves with the model, shouldn't it? I have to go find the leaf and move all the maps and manually add them into channels. Did I miss a setting somewhere?

Otherwise--Onyx look promising.