Student Maya WIP

Masterius

This is an image I am working on for school :rolleyes: . The thing is to make a Museum-like environement that has realistic lighting, without using any fancy GI or Radiosity Renderer. I mainly used area lights and pointlights. The arealights are used te create the radiosity from the wals, ceiling and floor. Feel free to give any comment to improve my work and grade ;)

filepush.asp?file=kamertest.jpg

why not use radiosity rendering?

well ur image has a very nice feel to it, but typical scan line feel.

i know a good artist makes best use of his tools, but when up against radiosity/GI renderers i fear he has a mountainous task ahead of him (impossible even) if he wants to stay ahead these days.

what is that cross on the wall? the reason i ask is because it's noticable straight away as not realistic enough to figure out what it is.

the floor tile 'carpets' too obviously

and the reflection is too sharp for a floor of this nature. it needs some fall off and diffuse.

shadow problems where the ceiling and walls meet too.

there's 2 shadows from the ball?

nice feel in all, how long did this take to render?

Hi thanx for the comment... ;)

The rendering time of this 800x600 pic is 1m 17s on a PIII 300 512mb.

On the thing with GI renders you are right, it is unbeatable :( However this is what the teacher wanted and it had to become a 30 sec animation and if I had the change to use a GI render, it would take to much rendering time. But still there is a way to come close those Renders...

That cross-thing has to look like an "artistic" lamp in the wall... (dont ask me why, it was late when i made it up).

Thanx...

OK. I understand the cross now, It should be more uniformily bright, and should cast off some noticable light too.

Here is an idea, for showing off traditional CG lighting techniques:

light_study.gif

[ September 26, 2002, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: kid ]