$ / hour

Jago_0108

How do you count the hours worked in a project and how can you assure your client the hours you worked on his project, whats involved in this fee / hour process? (the modeling?, the test renders?, the visits to the client?, the final rendering?, what else?)

I think charging by the hour is silly. Your not on site, everyone works at different speeds to acheive different results, everyone has different equipment, uses different software, people live in different countries with differing currencies.

You should have a portfolio that gives an indication of standard and style. You should then quote according to the brief. Easy.

Thats the way I'm doing it here in Mexico, but there's a prospect in another country and asked me for this kind of agreement.

What about the single quotes, I have a quote for modeling for example a single house, then I have a quote for modeling a development of X equal houses, a quote for modeling a bigger development of different houses, etc., and then the quotes for the final renders which are different depending on the size and quality of the render. Is this correct? because somebody told me that I should not be charging the modeling proccess.

Charge for a finished product. You know how long its gonna take, you should know how much you want to get paid.

My clients already know that I charge per project, but prospects keep asking me for a price list, so here it goes and please let me know what do you think of it.

PRICE LIST

1.- 3D MODEL DEVELOPMENT.

3D-001

SINGLE HOUSE

3D model development based on AutoCad .dwg files (architectural plans needed)

The 3d model development includes: texture applying, global illumination, accessories usage (stock elements: cars, people, trees, furniture, etc.)

$ 200.00

3D-002

CONDOMINIUM UNIT: INCLUDING UP TO 60 SINGLE-EQUAL HOUSES, URBANIZATION SUCH AS CONDOMINIUM FAÇADE, MONITORING HOUSE, STREETS AND COMMON AREAS.

The 3d model development includes: texture applying, global illumination, accessories usage (stock elements: cars, people, trees, furniture, etc.)

$ 600.00

3D-003

URBAN DEVELOPMENT: INCLUDING UP TO 200 SINGLE-EQUAL HOUSES, URBANIZATION SUCH AS CONDOMINIUM FAÇADE, MONITORING HOUSE, STREETS AND COMMON AREAS.

$ 800.00

3D-004

IF THE CONDOMINIUM UNIT OR URBAN SET INCLUDES DIFFERENT TYPES/MODELS OF HOUSES, EACH DESIGN WILL BE PRICED SEPARATELY

$ 200.00

3D-005

CLUB HOUSE

$ 300.00

3D-006

SPORT AREAS (TENNIS, SOCCER, FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL, VOLLEYBALL, SWIMMING POOL, GYM, ETC.)

$ 200.00 EACH

3D-007

APARTMENT BUILDING: INCLUDING EXTERIOR FAÇADE, HALL OR LOBBY, COMMON AREAS AND SINGLE APARMENT OR FLAT

$ 600.00

3D-008

IF THE DEVELOPMENT INCLUDES DIFFERENT TYPES/MODELS OF APARTMENT BUILDINGS OR APARMENTS OR FLATS (3D-004), EACH DESIGN WILL BE PRICED SEPARATELY

$ 600.00

2.- PHOTOREALISTIC RENDERINGS

CODE DESCRIPTION (SIZE) PRICE

3D-010 800 px X 600 px $ 140.00 EACH

3D-011 1280 px X 1024 px $ 180.00 EACH

3D-012 1600 px X 1200 px $ 200.00 EACH

3D-013 2400 px X 1800 px $ 220.00 EACH

3D-014 3200 px X 2400 px $ 240.00 EACH

3D-015 4800 px X 3600 px $ 320.00 EACH

3.- PERSPECTIVE MATCH

3D-016

MATCHING THE DEVELOPED 3D MODEL INTO A DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPH

* photographs not included

$ 120.00 EACH

4.- PHOTOREALISTIC WALKTHROUGHS

3D-017

SIZE: 320 X 240

INCLUDES 3D MODEL ANIMATION & RENDER, AND POST PRODUCTION (LOGO ANIMATION, MUSIC, CREDITS, ETC.)

* The 3D model development is not included

$ 50.00 (per second)

3D-018

SIZE: 640 X 480

INCLUDES 3D MODEL ANIMATION & RENDER, AND POST PRODUCTION (LOGO ANIMATION, MUSIC, CREDITS, ETC.)

$ 100.00 (per second)

3D-019

SIZE: 960 X 720

$ 150.00 (per second)

* Prices are expressed in USD.

My clients already know that I charge per project, but prospects keep asking me for a price list, so here it goes and please let me know what do you think of it.

.... I can't be sure without seeing some of your work, but initially I would say you are either undervaluing your work, in a really weak market, or just really trying to undercut the market to get jobs...... 200 for an entire house rendering?

I specifically quote on a project by project basis....

I charge on average $1000 for an interior rendering and I've gotten my process down to about 5 hours to complete. When I started doing lofts it was up around 8-10 hours. So if I get better at my work does that mean the client should get a break? NOPE..... You charge based on the quality and and overall product that you deliever, not by time....

Any developer who asks me if I can bill hourly, I ask them what they would prefer to be done when I hit their maximum budget for hours and their product isn't complete... deliver a mediocre rendering?? (which i couldn't do anyways).... or charge them for more time? Between that and telling them that just because someone's hourly rate is higher doesn't mean you will get a better product....normally makes them realize it's better see the quality of your work and to have a solid price tag up front rather than an hourly billing.

I have to say your numbers seem like a joke- No offense. I don't care if you may be somewhere relatively inexpensive compared to the US- if your client is here, you should charge based on the market here. If not, the same thing that happened to architects will happen to us- people undercutting each other to the point that there is no respect or appreciation for what it takes, and thus the worth of the service/product. Lawyers and doctors charge a minimum of 'x' regardless of where you go. So do mechanics etc. We need industry standards! More and more work is getting shipped overseas for CHEAP LABOR. $200 bucks for a rendering?

Back to the point- I usually propose a fixed fee for a clearly defined scope of work. If the project is still in design, I might proposed an hourly up to the point the design is confirmed, and then fixed rates to generate the visuals.

In either case, if a particular element has been approved, then there will be additional fees for changes. Business- We all should be compensated fairly for our time.

My first impression of your price list is your undercharging for you still images, maybe your making up for low cost in the quantity of images you produce but even then your doing a lot of work for very little compensation. I wouldn’t do a rendering for less than $1000 and that would be more of a special price for a very good friend and not just the average customer.

I get solicitations all the time from companies in China and India who have the same kind of prices you have. They also offer insane turn around times like 24 hours, these are basically slave wages and they are going to wind up severely damaging the industry. The reason they can get away with doing the work for this cheep is because they live in a country that has a very week economy and people are willing to work for very little just to have a job. They are also using pirated software so they have no overhead in that department and as a result they are naturally able to offer the same product for much less. You may be afraid to raise your prices for fear of loosing customers but in the end your not going to come out ahead, there working you for almost nothing and getting a great product in return.

Hi Jose

I think the modelling fee is quite ok. Still on the low side, though

You should charge much more of the rendering fees, though. The difficulty are much more than the modelling so it shouldn't be on the same rate?

That will bring your fees up considerably.

Be careful in quotes for overseas clients as you will want to match the local price as much as possible. Otherwise you are killing fellow renderers.

If your country's economy boomed and suddenly your living standards goes up then we all will be on the same boat. Getting close to the fellow renderer's rate means you have more leverage during economy ups and downs.

Surely if you can take home more $$$ than you normally charge, you can find a way to spend it :)

I think we as a forum should really get a better handle on this because it comes up a lot and I think there is some bad advice going around.

I know a company that uses illustrators in India and they charge $6 per hour. And I think they are really really well paid for India. Now this bugs me and I think the quality of the images is really poor but I would never tell the company in India to charge $50-$60 per hour. They would loose the work they get here. I have asked the principle if he would switch and he doesn't want to. Too cheap.

If I wanted to help him out I might offer names I know of other companies I have seen that do better work but I wouldn't do that.

When I set up my rates I based them on my working overhead. I don't adjust those for clients I think have more money and I try not to work for those that can't afford my work. I am afraid that if we feel the need to average our work we may have to take the worlds average not the US's and most of us would not be able to operate. Telling someone who lives in a different part of the world that they need to match local prices seems just wrong to me. Infact I think this whole talk of matching prices is really off.

i think asking to charge the same rate in the country you are working in is liking asking everyone to drive the same car. But what if something else suites me better? Granted there are guys out there that work for nothing, out of a garage with pirated software but i believe that everyone is entitled to their spot under sun. They might suit specific kind clientelle and therefore it is up to them to service that market. What i am really trying to say is that this has been going on forever, people ciming from somewhere with a diffrent price and it is called capitalism. You do not want to compete on price move to Cuba(price is regulated by goverment)! Find you edge that makes you different, forget about matching prices, never gonna happen. Cannot stand the heat, get out of the kitchen... Anyway, my two cents worth....

2.- PHOTOREALISTIC RENDERINGS

CODE DESCRIPTION (SIZE) PRICE

3D-010 800 px X 600 px $ 140.00 EACH

3D-011 1280 px X 1024 px $ 180.00 EACH

3D-012 1600 px X 1200 px $ 200.00 EACH

3D-013 2400 px X 1800 px $ 220.00 EACH

3D-014 3200 px X 2400 px $ 240.00 EACH

3D-015 4800 px X 3600 px $ 320.00 EACH

3.- PERSPECTIVE MATCH

3D-016

MATCHING THE DEVELOPED 3D MODEL INTO A DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPH

* photographs not included

$ 120.00 EACH

Jose

I think adding an extra zero on your price renderings won't hurt.

The best advice I ever got when I set my company up and I was trying to establish my pricing was from a young architects firm, when I told them I was struggling to come up with some prices they said "when you prepare quotes, simply put a price together which you would be happy to do the work for"

I think pricing is a personal thing, and although there should obviously be some guidelines so as not to undervalue our trade, you will always get a wide range of pricing. If a guy is charging £1000 for an image, and is getting lots of work, fair play I say, and like wise for the guy charging £200. I think typically you get what you pay for, and both these pricing structures has a place. I noticed recently metropix doing complete walkthroughs for about 10 quid which almost made me fall off my chair, but then considering it, it's an off the shelf service, and the results are not what I would call high end graphics.

Pricing from India is a worry, but this with it carries it's own problems, having said that I recently spoke to some guys who work for a company in Manchester, and they subcontract a lot of thier modeling to india and finish off in house, very crafty!

i think asking to charge the same rate in the country you are working in is liking asking everyone to drive the same car. But what if something else suites me better? Granted there are guys out there that work for nothing, out of a garage with pirated software but i believe that everyone is entitled to their spot under sun. They might suit specific kind clientelle and therefore it is up to them to service that market. What i am really trying to say is that this has been going on forever, people ciming from somewhere with a diffrent price and it is called capitalism. You do not want to compete on price move to Cuba(price is regulated by goverment)! Find you edge that makes you different, forget about matching prices, never gonna happen. Cannot stand the heat, get out of the kitchen... Anyway, my two cents worth....

Capitalism requires a free market economy, which requires everybody to respect each other's property rights, e.g. not pirating software - if somebody's undercutting prices by stealing the materials required to produce the product, that's not capitalism, it's illegal.

OK Guys I appreciate a lot your comments and advice, I can see that "overseas" my prices are low, but as somebody wrote, it depends on your country economy and sometimes that doesn't even matter, there are lots of people that underestimate your work quality and doesn't even care if you won an award, or if you have been selected for the image of the week, etc. The reason I started this thread was precisely to get advice on the quotes / render, because I thought I was undercharging my work overseas, here in my country I'm even expensive. For example I went on a sales visit with a constructor, he was starting a project of 200 houses, I showed him my portfolio, and he liked it a lot, WOWW THEY LOOK LIKE PICTURES, HE SAID., but after I told him my quotes he got scared and told me about my $ 25.00 competition, showed me their ugly work and the only thing I got from that interview was a "Thanks for coming".

There are several good points in this thread. When I first started my business, I was worried about unfair competition from overseas renderers who use pirated software, selling renderings for next to nothing. Now, I'm more focused on trying to get work. It still disturbs me but I can't let myself worry about something I don't have control over. The internet and global communication has changed the game, hopefully for the best. It's great that we can come together as a global community. I hope it doesn't result in a creating a level playing field, in terms of pricing. There's no way I can pay my bills if I have to charge $300 - $500 for a $2000 - $3000 rendering. In my marketing, I've found a small number of large architecture firms that work with overseas renderers. For now, that's a minority. I hope it doesn't catch on.

disclaimer: Jago-0108, I'm not implying that you use pirated software.

Do you take into consideration the level of complexity of the house design? for instance Design A is a very simple "box" but design "B" is highly detailed with a complex roof design etc. One will take a couple of hours to build and the other weeks.

Also do you factor in the design state of the project? IE is to design fixed or are the making changes on the fly.

I don't have a problem with setting up a base figure type quoting system, its a good starting point, as long as the price goes up instead of down;)

As to charging what the locals are charging, to me is tantamount to price fixing ,which in most countries with a free economy is illegal. As long as you are covering your costs and making a decent profit charge what your customers are comfortable to pay, with out being ridiculous. There is the strange phenomenon that people are willing to pay a premium if they feel they are getting their monies worth (sadly more often than not they aren't).

JHV