File format suggestions

DennisB

Those pesky gamers, alway pushing the envelope.

The past 4 months have opened my eyes to 3D solutions I'd never dreamed of, solutions that are not only poly efficient but incredibly effective at producing realistic foliage representatiions in real-time 3D space.

Not everything is ducky though. The deficit I've noticed is the quality and nature of the textures, which is where some breakthroughs are possible imo. I can't wait to explore some of the potentials that come to mind :)

So, I'm hoping a few here can suggest effective formats for 3D pre-built collections that would serve your needs as well, solutions where bandwidth demands and texture file sizes aren't as onerous as for gamers.

Can anyone offer a few tips on what you need in terms of file formats and portability between 3DS and Maya, or others like Lightwave, Cinema 4D, even Sketchup? What works for you and what doesn't and why if you can?

What about Maxwell, Vray and other renders? Any tips going in that can improve rendering results for you on the other side?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis @ DigArts

http://www.gardenhose.com

Can you clue us in on what breakthroughs your talking about utilizing here?

As far as file formats I think it would be wise to include them in .max with standard mats (I don't think there would be any reason to have them in vray or any other render specific shaders) .3ds and .obj. That would cover the bulk and anyone that gets left out could import them via .3ds. If you really wanted to cover everyone you could include .lwo and whatever format C4D uses

Can you clue us in on what breakthroughs your talking about utilizing here?

Thanks Brian. I'm not up and standardization in 3D file formats, even where proprietary (like PSD). So, any information is helpful. I'll find out soon enough.

Approaches to texturing mostly. It will take some R&D, but the proof of opportunity is in how revealing some of the more novel solutions already are.

Once I've had a chance to apply theory and test, I'll post a tutorial or some description since Jungle DVD, etc will be used to produce the textures.

Speaking of opportunity, has anyone worked with CS3's 3D texturing tools yet? Actually, I'm not sure it's available in the public beta. Anyone know?

Dennis

what about TGA and/or TIFF format for Landscape & Plants?

with alpha opacity channel This allows Landscape & Trees etc

To cast shadows

randy

Hi Randy,

I'm mostly thinking of 3D implementations (trees, house plants, mall type displays, etc) with the textures pre-applied. So, transparency is a given as it applies to the textures since they'll be associated with the objects/models, if I'm understanding you correctly.

2D textures are better served by the new Photoshop versions of Jungle DVD, Grains and Palms, which are distinctly different products. With them, once a texture is created it's easily saved to another format along with the necessary mask simply by using a little action like Load layer transparency>Save layer transparency.

I haven't used CS3's texturing tools because of demands of transitioniong Jungle DVD's 30,000 images to named and sequenced PS layers, or some other distraction :) Doubtless, they've anticipated transparency. I suspect there's opportunity there too.

Make sense?

.3ds is good because its read by just about everything, and .obj is old as the hills but allows quad polygons and (like .3ds) carries mapping, including UV mapping, and is an open format.

A newer format this is quickly gaining popularity is FBX

Thanks Ernest, guys. This is helpful info.

Dennis