Public Rights of the Photographer

Jeff Mottle

Thanks! I had seen that previously, its good work.

The problem is that when over-sized security thugs or gun-toting peace officers are telling you to get lost, pulling a libertarian manifesto out of your pocket and quoting scripture is not likely to improve their mood or behavior. The police may remind you of your right to remain silent and to have an attorney appointed, should you not be able to afford one. And you get the one phone call. And what happened to your camera gear? It's locked in an evidence room for six months until you can get the charges dropped.

That's why the best paper you can carry is written permission to be photographing that site and something showing you are doing your job, not scouting bombing locations.

That's why the best paper you can carry is written permission to be photographing that site and something showing you are doing your job, not scouting bombing locations.

althoug who wants to take photographs for bombing (purposes only) they never asked for permissions and never happen to get caught doing it .:confused:

Excellent Jeff. Thanks.

I often get very funny looks when I'm photographing people in the streets. Plus, recently I went to a big shampoo factory site so my son could take some photos of it for his school project. The spot we wanted to take the photo was near the security hut in a public place (but NOT on their premises). I decided it was courteous to go and ask/explain what we where about to do. They said we couldn't photograph it. I didn't argue, as I wasn't 100% sure of my rights.

Now I know I can tell THEM to mind there own bloody business!