First stab at GI

Gabriel

Hello! New to the board. :)

New to FinalRender also.

This is a test for ilumination on a Rhino model of a house interior I've designed, which is nowhere close to what I intended (teacher demolished :( )

No glass as of yet, no furniture.

All opinions very welcome.

Thank you gente.

filepush%5b1%5d.jpg

[ December 20, 2002, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Gabriel ]

Thank you, people. Will update on that.

render12RET.jpg

Exterior perspective view of the building. I tried to make it look a little bit like a model. Home-made trees and cars. :)

Horrendous render time, 5 hours. Big image (3200*2560) :rolleyes:

Single CPU@2400 MHz.

Diffuse depth 3; RH-Rays 450; Min 25 Max 275

its been reccomended that you keep your rays in multiples of 10 to speed things up, try using 25/250. another thing that may speed things up some is attempt to turn down your rays a bit, and turn on the adaptive sampling in the advanced gi area.

for the tops of your mullions, have you tried to make it an overlapping edge? Finalrender seems to work better with faces that clearly intersect. Ie, the top of the mullion is inside of the cieling plane.)

When you do get around to glass, for some reason it needs an IOR of 1.0 to let light through, otherwise you can calc the lighting without, and turn it on to render.

Looking good

• 4 weeks later...

the arragements in the flat look like a right mess thou!! nice images but i can't help but looka at the arragement.

I take it you are a fan of cirulation space then yes? And like to see people in the living room as soon as you step out of the bedrooms? And how come the bedrooms are like cells with the circulation on both sides. not a fan of natural light are you?

Remember you are a student of architecture not cg

(sorry!!! just comments on architecture not really relevant!)

hi gabriel...

5h ? i thinks thats far too long, even for fR :) maybe you can tweak some settings to get faster results. the groundplan looks very strange. are the showers together ? funny idea, somehow, but that won´t work...even for a student flat :) work on with the design and play around with fR for faster settings, it´s possible...

Oh, Lord! I was wondering WHY my shirt didn´t quite fit this morning! Now I understand... All these knife handles partially sticking out of my back...

I really like to know what the man behind this architecture has to say.
OK, let me explain:

Basically... I have no real "excuse", but I´ll try to feed you with what follows.

This project is like a hairy mole sitting just under your eye, you just learn to live with it. It started with good intentions and all, really. The result could have been acceptable, a little defective maybe, I´ll never know. The teacher of this particular course likes to bless his students´ projects with His touch... A little bit like God blowing life into clay figures. The results have not been good in this particular case, obviously. Your opinions on distribution and furniture arrangement for example reassemble my friends´, my pets´, my plants´, and my own. The thing here is that sometimes you have to do what you´re told if you don´t want to get your corpse trampled, even if the projects end up being lousy. And believe me, this project has been mutilated in every possible way.

Renderings I do for my pleasure, and to earn some money every now and then. The teachers don´t like any form of computer graphics used in architecture. "Horrenders" for example is their generic way of calling what you people do.

I don´t want to bore you gente, and to moan about school wasn´t my intention, but if someone has a question about all this I´ll be happy to answer.

BTW:

edificio01.jpg

Same project in early stage... Render done in Brazil. Used r/s for a few days, tried FR, liked it better ;)

The teacher of this particular course likes to bless his students´ projects with His touch...The thing here is that sometimes you have to do what you´re told if you don´t want to get your corpse trampled...
This teacher may be a great architect but he is obviously a poor teacher. His GOD complex only lets him make replications of himself rather than using his talent to guide students to find THEIR own architectural language. Sadly there's quite a number of teachers like this in the world of architecture. But on the other side of the coin it is also the students prerogative to take on board what the teacher suggests but if you're not happy with those suggestions tell him, and tell him why, and tell him the direction you'd prefer to take, and tell him why. Justification of your actions is the key.

Hmm.. your teachers sound as anal retentive as some I have had the displeasure of having in the past. CG is good for arch school, but in my opinion (and im writing a dissertation about this just now) ... they are good as long as combined with a good design process and traditional models. a physical model promotes discussion in the round... a CG 3d model for the most part is in a 3D world, but will always be 2-dimensional - yeah, you can make panoramas and walkthroughs.. but a basic sketch model can help a lot in the design process.

Well... good luck with arch. school :D Im just about finished mine :D:D:D