NPR: marvellous watercolor renderings!

nisus

Has Ernest seen this?

Uh, yeah.

That looks like academic research not (yet) resulting in a commercial product... unless somebody knows otherwise?...

Its only a matter of time. The process is well explained, but thinking about it would require about 1/2 3D app and 1/2 imaging app. Its not a big hurdle, but I couldn't see an easy way to implement it in either C4D or Photoshop alone. In a number of important ways this is similar to the work I've done. I'm more pleased with their results in a strict 'fake watercolor' sense, but there's more to what we need to do than that. So hopefully I won't be replaced by a button in Max just yet.

it's really well done.... for stills.....

but for animation part bothers me. The fact that the image moves and the paper texture doesn't is just wierd. It would be like seeing a car move down the street without it's wheels moving..... looks odd. I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it, it would look better if it was just the water color treatment and no paper texture.... I'm assuming that'd be an option.

The fact that the image moves and the paper texture doesn't is just wierd...it would look better if it was just the water color treatment and no paper texture.... I'm assuming that'd be an option.

I've tried all those variations, and there is no single answer.

When you have the paper texture static, the animation seems projected, and you notice the texture more. When you animate the texture, you get shimmering noise. I've worked out a sweet spot for my own work, but either way you have issues. Its the same thing as doing CG photorealism--you are mimicking artifacts of one medium in another simply to remind a viewer of something your work isn't.

By the way, the paper texture shown in those animations does move. Watch it again. Its just slow, and its an animated (evolving) noise, not movement in pictureplane XY.

In a number of important ways this is similar to the work I've done.

What is your process when you create it? Do you write your own code or you use a software like FinalToon? I am trying to make watercolor rendering and for now the only way I know is to make it in photoshop with brush and defaults filters.

thanks

My process is discussed in a number of other threads, so I don't want to turn this thread away from its subject. But to answer in short--most of what I do is post work, in Photoshop. The work we're discussing here uses procedures in 3D--like assigning particles to create blobs of light or dark (visible in the rotating tree) as well as 2D techniques like shape recognition to produce puddles of paint. You can do all of this in post, but it helps if you have some things set up for it in the render app.

• 4 years later...

Hola soy nuevo en este foro , me interesa saber si de verdad hay un software para generar animación en acuarela en tiempo real como los ejemplos que hay en la pagina del Ivy generator, he visto los ejemplos pero no puedo encontrar ningún programa que genere tal animación.

Muchas gracias