Onyx no proxy

pipjor

I've jsut bought Onyx Broadleaf and thought i'd give it a test.. I've been using Speed Tree..

comments

1. seems like it's best to use Vray proxies, since i don't have vray so i have to use intances, not to bad about 7 minutes to render this scence..

2. Both SpeedTree and Onyx have very indepth was to alter trees but does anyone here actually "create" or even care to alter inside these programs, i'd just like to go to a libary and pick out a tree and be done...

3. looks like from my test you don't want to get to close to Onyx trees(see tree on the left).

4. any tips anyone can give me on Onyx, i know Brian is working on something.

I bought Onxy recently. I play with all the sliders. I'm trying to get a handle on what they do so I can modify trees. As good as the library is, I've had three or four trees recently I wanted to make, and none were directly available. No London Plane?

It would make sense to produce two or three variations of a tree you will use repeatedly in a scene so you can show more variety. Make instances or proxies of them, mix 'em up.

I edit the trees about half the time. If I can just drop something in out of the library or pull it from an old model I will. Every now and then when the guys in our landscape dept actually specify a tree by genius specie I will open something as close as I can from the presets and then tweak it to match the desired tree. Normally it's changing leaf types, branch length/density and overall height.

Biggest tip i can give is use to install the onyx treestorm plug-in for max that way you don't have edit trees in the standalone and re-import every time you update the tree. And beyond that use the foliage reduction to drop your polygon count. Drop it way down till the tree looks naked.... then slowly crank it up to find the right balance to poly's vs. foliage density so it looks good.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...