Autocad demo

sdds

Hi all, just a quickie.

I need to learn Autocad, now I could do a short course but I think learning it myself will be fine. Is there a demo version? can't seem to find one. I will be using a friends PC because I only have a mac, when I have some cash will buy a second hand machine and software.

hi Simon.

i'm an autocad user, but, even though it's a standard, i'd advise different in your case. if you're just about to learn cad i'd advise FormZ which have a great downloadable demo.

FormZ is a native mac software, does all acad does (and more) and is more flexable. i'm learning aspects of it now. (and it's a damn site cheaper!!!) as i say, autocad is just the standard. (although i find it tons more intuetive and i love using it).

Dont be channelled into acad just because it's the norm. you use c4d and thats certainly far from the norm. If you want employment doing 3d in the UK with a firm of architects then it's sometimes off putting when you read employment ads requiring you have a sound autocad and max knowledge.

Ultimately, it's a sound understanding of archi 3d and a top notch portfolio is what's required. If they like what you do then if they're smart they'll buy in extra software to accommodate you. (they'll have to buy you a new computer anyway). When i joined my firm i gave them a small list of the softwares i use and they bought them in. (they'd never even heard of cinema 4d, and even now they havent a clue of how i work and what i work with).

But then, if it's autocad you really want then in my opinion thats great. just try out a few first see what you think. dont be channelled into a certain path because it's the norm. if you're that good an employer will accommodate you, not the other way around.

to answer your original question, no sorry, i dont know of a downloadable demo, although i'm sure they do exist.

Thanks start glad you answered m8,

Yea I was kind of advised by a few places that autocad was a must in arch vis. I don't really have a lot of experience working with floor plans etc so don't know what is best for extruding & cleaning a 2d plan. I managed to get some work experience in a small architectural firm, they run autocad and something called lighting lite. Will be using C4d on my laptop though and will look into formZ, Ive got a week to get my stuff together.

yeah, you will get advise that autocad (and max/viz usually) is a must in arch viz. this simply isn't the case. they are the norm, but not a must. although it'll definately make your initial employment chances ALOT higher if you know these softwares. i used max and viz too before i switched to the joys of C4D a few years ago.

personally, i'd say if you're serious and passionate about your job then learn what you think will suit you better, not what you're told to do. if it means using your own stuff on your laptop then that might be the case. but then again, i certainly wouldn't not advise learning autocad either :)

ultimately it's your portfolio that you'll use to convince employers they cant do without you, whether they insist on in-house software experience or not.

autocad files work normally in formZ no problems.

yeah, you will get advise that autocad (and max/viz usually) is a must in arch viz. this simply isn't the case. they are the norm, but not a must. although it'll definately make your initial employment chances ALOT higher if you know these softwares. i used max and viz too before i switched to the joys of C4D a few years ago.

personally, i'd say if you're serious and passionate about your job then learn what you think will suit you better, not what you're told to do. if it means using your own stuff on your laptop then that might be the case. but then again, i certainly wouldn't not advise learning autocad either :)

ultimately it's your portfolio that you'll use to convince employers they cant do without you, whether they insist on in-house software experience or not.

autocad files work normally in formZ no problems.

I advised Simon AutoCAD was a must on the basis that If your going to learn a new CAD/drafting program from scratch, which I think we're both in agreement is necessary, you might as well learn the industry standard. I agree the 3D package you use is flexible, especially if you're already using one. I can only advise based on my own experience however, which is that the office I work in runs seven seats of Max, so we'd resist hiring someone that couldn't collaborate on project files easily.

I would second that, if you need to learn the basics of CAD then do it using a CAD program and preferably with the de-facto standard ie Autocad (LT would be just fine for this too).

To be honest 99% of CAD drawings from architects are appalling with lines not intersecting or things just being plain innaccurate. I first used CAD in 1992 but the basics are still the same. I was taught by a Filipina that I worked with and what she told me became know as Sanchez Law. Sanchez Law states that:

"with CAD, it is easier to do it right than it is to do it wrong"

Unfortunately, as CAD files look okay when printed, people rush them and you will encounter plenty of crappy files that you need to tidy up so as not to make a mess of your 3D and give you a real headache further down the line. CAD isn't difficult and if you can get the hang of the basics then you should be able to save your self a lot of work.

JM

although i believe strat's comments are good intentioned, i have to agree with simon.

perhaps it's a little different in the UK, but if you are looking for work with/in a more established, larger firm that has already invested in software and training for autocad and MAX/VIZ (the autodesk empire) then you'll find it more difficult to find work.

i wish it were true that only your skills and talent would matter, but there is quite alot of competition for work and i too would be reluctant to hire someone who required additional software and/or upset the normal workflow and collaboration in the office.

believe me, this is based on experience. one of the most talented and helpful people i ever worked with was a lightscape guru. his work was very good (and i did learn alot from him). but when someone like that leaves a firm (which they always do), then the firm is left with obsolete software that no one else can use.

i've heard great things about formZ, but i would be careful about ignoring autodesk products if you are looking for work in a firm. i may be completely misjudging your interest though - if you are working freelance, then i suppose most of what i am saying matters less.

best of luck

paul

For a long time I resisted learning AutoCAD preferring Vectorwoks and FormZ (both MAC capable programs) as well as just having a general sense of contempt for Autodesk product's stranglehold on the the industry(ies). Due to a change in my employer I was pretty much forced to start using AutoCAD. After some arm twisting I have to say that it's not all bad and it wasn't too difficult to learn (especially if there's someone at your office that's well versed in the cryptic commands that you have to use in AutoCAD). As a modeler it's a pretty decent platform but in my opinion it is no where near as easy to use or as versatile as FormZ is. I would also say that the situation that Strat describes (the one where the company he started working for bought him software which he requested when they hired him) is more the exception than the rule. This is especially true if you going to be working for a company that spent a couple of grand on buying a few licences for AutoCAD. I doubt that they'll be too keen on spending more money. Just my two cents!

hmm..

Well, since i am not using autocad at all, but modeling from autocad files i can say that, when a company hired me they asked what programs i use and i am most efficient in.

I told them 3ds max and maya...At the same time there was another guy there who had a portfolio and used autocad along with 3ds max...But his portfolio did not look half as good as mine...

The only thing the company really needed from me was that i can take a cad file and build a model from it, and that i can do a really good job on the rendering...The other guy coming from cad and hardly used 3ds max was not able to get my job. I had the opposite, i did not know CAD, but i was good at 3ds max, and Maya. His renderings looked more like plastic art. The company already had cad guys, so they really did not care about hireing another cad person, but someone who has knowledge of good 3D skills/rendering etc..

I am not sure if i can get into this conversation, but i can say that you don't always have to know CAD if you want a job. You should though learn how to extract the info from cad files, and build an accurate model with good textures, lighting etc...For that you do not need to know autocad. Even 3ds max can be used to take those files, and get rid of garbage that you never use. A lot of cad files are full of stuff at times that you dont ever use. So its good to clean it up before you start your project..I usually tell the cad guy to just draw out what i need, and dont put any extra crap i dont need in there...This way my file is clean and layers are named correctly and im ready to build, extrude the lines for walls etc...

my 2 cents..and yes im a newb to architecture, but not in the 3D field..i have been in the 3D industry for over 7 years...There is a feature film coming out that i worked on called " The North Wind" its a 150 million dollar movie..its hould be interesting..but i would not hold my breath, because usually when you create yuor characters to for the company, its up to them to make something good out of it....I was only a character modeler and artist on that movie...So i would not know how the movie will turn out...but in any case i hope it turns out good for 150 million dollar..

So back to cad...well i hope i dont have to learn it...I hate scripts..

Thank you everyone for your input. I have found the autocad demo download and will learn it as Mr Moir suggested. Will be using it in my upcoming work experience anyway so best to get a bit familiar.. I like to be prepared.

Strat FormZ is very interesting. C4d lacks in the precision department a bit, but great for texturing/lighting & rendering. I may consider this since I will be using my mac laptop at work with C4d anyway.

Being a bit dumb here but can't find the price on their site, can it be bought and downloaded? Also strat would love to know what you think of it m8, might be a great tool for my workflow.