Condo Bedroom - finalRender

Ken Walton

Instead of setting up the last scene for full GI, I decide to use this bedroom shot. I need some help with my GI settings though. This one was rendered in about 12 minutes with the following settings:

Prepass: 1/1

RH - Rays: 128

Balance: 70%

Curve Balance: 70%

Min/Max Density: 30/150

Ambient Multiplier: 1

Adaptive Qual: 0

Amb. Rough: 2

Saturation/Contrast: 0/0

Contrast Range: 1

Skylight: 1

filepush.asp?file=kl_gi.jpg

How do I get those artifacts on the walls and celing to go away (I thought the prepass setting was the solution, but there was no noticable difference between 1/1 and 1/4 besides an additional 3 minutes of rendering)? Curve balance? I'm really not sure. As usual, any other comments will be helpful.

Thanks,

Ken Walton

You need to crank up you're rh-rays. 128 may sound like quite a bit already but 512 or even more may be needed. This will of course increase you're render time but the workflow behind fr is to get everything set at the levels you want with crude settings (probably 64 rh rays or less, 1/4 prepass, etc.), you can get an extremely good feel for how you're scene will look this way, then when everything looks the way you want it to send the final image and go get some lunch or start shooting some hoops or something like that while it renders. ;}

filepush.asp?file=kl_gi4_800.jpg

Increased RH rays to 256 (21 minutes), so I'm sure 512 will take me where I need to go. This should be sufficient to start with critiques though. For one, how's the composition? I dropped back down to a 24mm for this shot and tried to keep "distortable" elements out of the frame. Let me know.

Ken Walton

Well, Ken, besides those artifacts you mentioned earlier (and are already taking care of), I'd say that the whole scene looks too dark for me. I mean, if this is a bedroom, it should look, I don't know, more "alive", got it? The colors of the walls are not helping in anyway (maybe that's the design), but still, I think you could brighten up the scene a little.

I don't know, it's just a thought....

[]

Rick

The light looks almost like moonlight. If it were the sun in the evening, it would be more yellowish, right? Or maybe just brighter?

I'd just experiment with a sun angle closer to noon and increase it's intensity to brighten up the room.

While not necessarily the best 'solution', you can turn up the ambient multiplier in fR to brighten the room quickly. I've found that as long as you keep it to 1.1 or 1.2 it doesn't adversely alter the scene and can make it feel brighter.

Hi Ken,

The setup on this room is straightforward for the eye, easy to move from one item to the next, nice job.

I think mbr touched on something that stands out to me also. The angle that the sun is coming in at is either late evening or early morning, but the color of the light betrays this. Also the outside background pic appears that it is high noon.

I'd setup the sun angle for a 1: - 3:00 time if you want this color of light, or make sure the model's location is indicated to the client as "Oslo during the summer" ;)

my $.02