you're getting me worried now

matt_vinoir

so far i have had a go on lightscape tutorials. ( it was quick to learn and the effects where prety achievable. I then tried viz 4 but it was too much to learn from tutorials, so i took a three day course and really liked the results aswell.

I have seen www.screampoint.com images of viz 4 and i like it but apart from that i really haven't seen much from viz 4 that compares to lightscape. so my only worry with lightscape is that i'm told you can't do normal models and that you have to have planes rather than volumes as it renders all sides and takes ages. I'm about to go for viz 4 as i think my diploma architecture needs will be fulfilled. i.e i need really good quality external/bit of internal stills.

Whats the final verdit. is viz4 really not as good as lightscape?

(p.s. i model in vectorworks mostly so they would be used as a renderer only)

Guest hajer

Hi mat

I would definitely go for viz

It may be little bit less in term of quality

But sometimes quality doesn’t count for everything

Imagine that u got a job that need to be finished

By the end of the day and some changes will be

Made to ur finished peace now it’s possible in viz4 but never in lightscape .

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wongsengkeong

hi mat

i think that they both have their own advantages,

viz properly will be a better choice in terms of time saving,

but when come to a really good interior rendering, i would say that lightscape will be my first choice.

Solid modelling i snot really a very serious problem for lightscape.

i have seen a lot of people who are using archicad for modelling, and get them rendered in lightscape, they all get a very pretty image too.

Matt the way i feel at the moment is to strongly advise you not to buy any autodesk product.I have e been struggling for round about two weeks now to register viz 4. It has been one problem after the other, no cooperation from autodesk .Has anybody else experienced this problem with them.

I specifically bought Viz for radiosity, just before I finally figured out lightscape.

i would definitely prefer lightscape and modelling specifically for lightscape any day.

Above a package that can handle solid modelling in rendering radiosity, I know Jeff mentioned this type fo workflow and that they use this as it is much faster on pressured projects .

I believe, it is still ultimately important to keep face counts down. rather split your interiors and exteriors into manageable seperate files and have those walls only faces.

If you reimport your LS files into max,you can render it there and still add new elements even after the radiosity solution has been calculated,just use fake radiosity and self illumination to light these.

Hope it makes any sense, just before I chuck Viz out the window.

hi jeff

The problem was initially with registering viz after 30 may , there was a patch on the autodesk site specifically for this ,After struggling at least 3 hours to download this .this helped to get an authorization window, which was the initial problem. Then obtained an auth.code which did not work.Tried again no success, tried about three times ,but thats a lengthy process as you have to complete all the forms or parts of it again.Left nasty e-mails all over didnt really help.

my reseller has tried to help, but no avail.

Im sure this shouldnt be this difficult, could it make a difference that I am on Windows 98 .

would be great if you know anything or maybe somebody else has experienced same

• Administrators

Hey Foxlee,

So are you up and running? You are right about the 98 bit. VIZ4 is only supported in W2K and ME. I do feel your pain about that patch. A friend of mine went through the same process and the tech guy wanted to charge him $50 to get the problem solved. He ended up using an internal contact and found out about SP2. This was the same day that the patch released. To my knowledge the auth dept. was made aware of their blunder from the top.

hi jeff

thanks for the response, i'll try again.

I dont like the whole new system of authorization

,dont know what the advantage of having the portable license utility is anyway. i am sure they'll have more problems with it .

thanks