3D Max to Revit

Eric G

Hello people,

Here is my first post to this communuty.

I've seen a lot of Revit to max how-to but nothing to the reverse. I Have modeled a max model (kind of massing) and imported (dwg) to Revit. Once there... it seems that theres nothing to do with it. It is a solid model, can't slice the block to do floor plans, or use faces to make walls. I tried to explode the model, but it kind of disapear. Can't extract any shape from it.

So my question is, is there something revit can do with a 3d max model?

Thank you for your time.

Eric G.

not much you can do with it. You will see it in just about every view and you can't edit geometry. can't select faces either. can't cross section. You can make sub categories for the materials, but I have found you need to work with it in autocad first, then save as dwg, then import into revit.

max models have a tendency to create high poly counts, not always, but when you import these items (that can't be edited) they can hog down your system from the file size alone.

max models that are useful are like doorknobs, cars, trees, lighting and bath fixtures, etc. but roofs, walls, floors, while you can import them, they don't serve much function over what's already available in Revit.

• 1 month later...

There are two uses for max models that i know of

1. for importing non orthagonal shapes such as frei otto tensile structure or a gehryesque design.

2. as a mass model, if you did a mass model in max instead of SketchUp.

As a mass model you would import a dwg of your max model (after reducing the segments of the max objects) while in the mass command in Revit.

You would have to turn on the mass category in the visibility dialog box (vv) or else you wont see it in that view. The mass category is off by default.

You can then pick the walls and roofs from your 'max mass model'. You can also link the dwg into the revit mass element so if you make changes you to your max mass model it can update your walls in revit.

This is by no means a smooth process but it can work for you.

• 4 years later...

For what I know what you can do is to use the 3ds max model to create a new model in Revit using masss modeling and the subcomand mass from faces. Later on I assume that you'll be able to change the properties of the mass that you created at fist hand, or crete new geometry using as a reference this mass. In this way you'll be able to create walls, skylites, windows...

• 4 weeks later...

Just export from Max as a .dwg file. and import or link the .dwg into Revit. The only reason I have imported into Revit is to match up a Revit model to the origin of a 3ds Max model. My co-worker only knew how to use Revit for 3D modeling and it worked quite well. He worked on the building and I worked on the surrounding topography and buildings.