mr bump map

haflen

hello peoples. i've started learning and playing around with mental shaders and i'm having trouble getting a bump map to work. i'm new to mental ray in general and having trouble finding information on how the shaders work and go together. there seems to be very little info on where to begin and where and how to use the shaders.

so i guess i'm actualy asking 2 questons

1. how do i use mr bump maps

2. where can i find beginners info on mr, in simple terms, i'm not a programmer

and i'm using maya

thanks

hello peoples. i've started learning and playing around with mental shaders and i'm having trouble getting a bump map to work. i'm new to mental ray in general and having trouble finding information on how the shaders work and go together. there seems to be very little info on where to begin and where and how to use the shaders.

so i guess i'm actualy asking 2 questons

1. how do i use mr bump maps

2. where can i find beginners info on mr, in simple terms, i'm not a programmer

and i'm using maya

thanks

im using 3d max, this is what i do....

1. The attached image uses a MR material with a DGS shader in the surface parameter. - there is no Bumb parameter in the DGS shader so i went back to the top level (the MR material) and selected the Bump parameter - then chose the Bump shader and inserted the checker patern.

2. http://www.mymentalray.com/ has some great information. the max help files are a great resource, so i assume maya has some pretty good built in help too.

hope this is of some help