Simple Tree Animations

DennisB

I've been playing around with textures for animated trees. The goal is a low poly, easy solution that can react to the physics of wind in a naturalistic way that's still highly efficient.

Anyway, here's a very poor >6 fps capture of an on-the-fly or realtime render. The wind wasn't blowing very hard that day either :) So, the effect is nearly stop action. Of course, 24 or 30 fps looks more natural. The point is that the movement of fronds on each tree is a function of nine independent axes.

I'm curious if you guys have any need for this kind of stuff [at higher resolutions]. I've already adapted one tree collection product for this use at 512 sizes, but I don't know that you're working in circumstances where these kinds of physics (wind) are employed as they are in games only at higher rez.

Dennis @ DigArts

http://www.gardenhose.com

Id be interested. Id probably buy a collection if they were reasonably priced. I mean, if an xfrog collection were rigged or not rigged, Id pay a bit extra for the rigged one.

Heh. For me, the issue is translating the physics of the 3D environment I'm currently working in to the assorted rigging commands for the applications you guys commonly work in (3DS or Maya). While it's simple stuff where I am, I usually scratch my head in utter bewilderment whenI look at the 3DS command variables. Blender is even worse :)

Id be interested. Id probably buy a collection if they were reasonably priced. I mean, if an xfrog collection were rigged or not rigged, Id pay a bit extra for the rigged one.

i echo what tommy said :)

would be nice to see a 30 fps preview tho

• 2 weeks later...