Modelling advise needed - loft??

Daf

Hi all,

Would someone please point me in the direction of a tutorial so that I can learn to create a chair back like the one pictured here:

http://www.greatwindsorchairs.com/continuous_windsor_armchair_ss-pu.htm

Just the chair back - the rounded back and arms.

I think it's a loft?? But I don't understand how to get the arms to go in another direction. I can create a simple loft - but I'm really stuck. I may even be wrong about it being a loft? I'm terrible at modelling! :)

I'm using Viz 2005.

Thanks so much!

Daf

It could be a Loft, the shape can be scaled along certain axis, and moved exentrictlly fom the path, its posible, also, you could use a two shape loft, so you could have lots of variatiation with that tool. If I where you I would play a little with the deformtions on the loft modiefiers palette, try adjusting curves, smothing them, adding vertexes, etc.

Good luck

Thank you, chiquito! :)

I was able to get the shape I wanted by "playing" with some of the options. Woohoo! I learned something about modelling. :D

Now I have another related question.

I thought it would be easier to get the shape I wanted with "half" the object - that way I didn't have to exactly duplicate the pattern/design - and then I could mirror the spline for the other half.

Well - the mirror worked in that I now have 2 identical halves but ... I'm not able to loft the 2 halves. I attached them together but ended up with 2 first vertice - I think that is why the "get shape" is grayed out.

I can't figure out how to completely attach the 2 halves with just one 1st vertex.

I read somewhere about a symetry modifier but I don't think my version of Viz (2005) has it ...

Thanks for any help with this! :)

Daf

Well you could complete the object half (with loft or whatever) and then mirror the completed object.

For this task, I probably would have drawn a shape in 2 d, extruded it, then converted to poly, then bent it into shape...pretty much the way the original was made.